Sunday, May 17, 2015

May 17th 2015: Exploring the Town of Wenham

I started out early this morning in the town of Wenham, going for a walk alongside The Grand Wenham Canal, going on the left side to avoid the same mistake the last time I was here.

Nice quiet walk up the entire stretch of the canal, with a layer of fog over the canal.
When I was finally back at my car, I decided to head across the road for another hike at Cedar Pond. The path I took here is shown below in black.
There were okay views of the ponds here,
but overall, not really worth the hike.

I visited a few other places in town
Pleasant Pond Beach
Memorial,
Arbor Street and Main Street

Longham Reservoir, 19 Dodges Row
before heading to the Wenham Tea House for breakfast, set within a colonial home with nice decor.
I went with the Bramble Liege Waffle (blueberry coulis, honey mascarpone cream cheese, graham cracker crumble crust),
which was interesting both in shape and in taste because of the different kind of dough used. The blueberries and cheese just made it even better. Small but delicious.

A last touch was to come with my bill, which came in a small cute basket.

From here, I crossed the road to visit the Wenham Museum. I was impressed by the extensive train sets built here, and to learn that Wenham Lake was once used for harvesting ice. Pictures I took here follow.

Done with the town of Wenham for now, I headed into Salem to grab a dozen macarons from Melita Fiore, a nice cafe with a slightly French atmosphere.
I managed to get 4 flavors, namely the Blueberry, Champagne, Chocolate Mandarin and Chocolate Banana macarons. Pretty good.
From here, I rushed back into Boston, where I was a little late for my meetup brunch at Myers + Chang. Thankfully, there were so many no-shows that my friends waited for me to arrive.  A pretty hip place with an Oriental feel. I was expecting a typical brunch menu, but it actually is very oriental and tapas sized in nature. We got the Wok Roasted Lemongrass Mussels,
the Ginger Scallion Bok Choy,
the Pomegranate Duck Wings with Praline,
the Kimchee Quinoa Bokkeumbap with Bulgoki,
the Asian Braised Beef Bao
and the Braised Pork Belly Bao.
I did not care for the buns, and the pomegranate flavor of the duck was a little too strong. Thankfully, the vegetables were pretty good, and the sauce for the mussels was so good we even got some toast to dip in it, but the best dish of all was actually the quinoa, which was really flavorful with a kick to it.

Overall, a pretty good meal.

From here, I headed to North Andover for my last hike for the day at Foster Farm Conservation Area. Along the way, I saw a turtle trying to cross the road, and decided to stop for a bit and help it across by picking it up. 
My good deed for the day.

At my destination, the path I took is shown below in pink.

Other then some views over the rolling fields, there wasn't much else to see here, even at the power lines, especially with the paths being not well tended to.









With that, I called it a day for sightseeing, ending off a pretty eventful weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment