Saturday, May 30, 2015

May 30th 2015: Learning to Arrange Flowers in Boston

I started out this morning with breakfast at Dempsey's Breakfast and Lunch, a typical diner in the town of Everett.

I got a Hot Chocolate as always,

And the Irish Benny (Two Poached eggs on an English Muffin, over Corned Beef Hash, dressed with Hollandaise sauce, served with home fries).

A decent start to this morning I guess.

After breakfast, I headed into Boston, and as I was pretty early, I had the time to go find a free parking spot. After that, I headed to Wired Puppy, a small Underground cafe on Newbury Street

to kill time before my flower arrangement class, getting a Caffe Freddo and a Carrot Raisin Bran mini muffin.

Just okay in my opinion.

The school itself is located in a typical Back Bay area apartment house, complete with chandeliers and the like.

When the class finally started, I was one of only 2 guys in the class. Go figure.

They showed us the basics of water based flower arrangement, which involves first making a network for which to stick flowers in without slipping in the vase using leather ferns.
The design started out with putting roses in a triangle fashion,

then alternating them with carnations.
Next came the hydrangea bunch in the center.
The Peruvian lilies were next, cutting off the side flowers and sticking them in the center and sides.
I also peppered my design with lavender pink daisies and mini carnations,
giving my final design, which my friend liked when I brought it home for her.
We went to a dimsum lunch at this point in Woburn at New China Pearl,a pretty big restaurant decorated like a Chinese mansion, even from the outside.
The dimsum is brought to us on push carts,
and in general I have to say the quality of the dimsum seems much better than those in Chinatown, though a little oily at times. Definitely much better in all aspects to say the least. My new favorite dimsum place, away from the crowds in Chinatown.

No comments:

Post a Comment