Sunday, May 31, 2015

May 31st 2015: A Day of Fun South of Boston

My friend and I started out today in the town of Canton, visiting a yard sale at the Canton High School before heading for breakfast at the Ruta Raw Juice Bar. Our original intention had been to go to the Amber Road Cafe right next door, But as it had a long waiting line, we changed our minds and we're walking away when we noticed the existence of the nice cafe we ended up going to.

For drinks My friend got the Pick Me Up (Carrot, ginger, apple, lemon), While I got the Raspberry Cream Smoothie (Raspberry, Blackberry, Mango, Yogurt).

My drink was pretty good, though a little on the sour side.

For food, my friend got the Nutella Banana Crepe

While I got the Lobster Roll (bacon, Arugula).

Pretty delicious stuff. Not sure why the negative reviews on Yelp. Although one of the waitresses was Pretty grumpy.

After our brunch, We wanted to walk around town for a bit, but as it started to rain, we decided to head into Norwood, where we were to have our Jewelry making class with Luke Adams Glass Blowing Studio.

I have been here a few times in the past for glass blowing sessions, but this was the first time I was making jewellery here, although I have done this kind of jewellery making before in Needham.

When we finally got started with the class, I decided to make earrings, while my friend decided to go with a Pendant. 

We were provided with several boxes of different coloured glass,

and the tools provided were similar to the ones I used in Needham.

Eventually, we got our pieces ready for the kiln, although the finished pieces can only be picked up a week later.

This is in stark contrast with what I did in Needham, where the pieces were done a few hours after we sent them into the kiln. Still, it was interesting to learn how to differentiate between the metal coated side of a piece of coated glass, by pressing the tip of a pen against the glass. If the reflection touches the pen, that is the coated side of the glass.

Leaving the place, we were on our way to the Franklin Park Zoo when we happened to pass by Legacy Place in Dedham and decided to go there instead, a blessing in disguise as it was to start raining for the rest of the day soon after.

We decided to get some food from Genki, a Japanese restaurant with branches in Brookline and Boston as well.

We settled for appetisers, getting the Coconut Punch drink,

The Naruto (Shrimp, crab stick, avocado, Flying fish roe rolled in cucumber with spicy mayo on top),

The Salmon Mushroom Soup (salmon, mushrooms and Broccoli served in Salmon broth)

And the Grilled Salmon Salad (Grilled Salmon, flying fish roe, crab stick, Spicy mayo and Scallions served with special sauce).

Everything was really good, especially the soup which was a joy to drink, and the sauce for the Salad, along with the vinegary sweet flavour of the cucumber Roll.

I even got a sip of the drink, which tastes very much like Yakult back home.

After lunch, we got some chocolates to bring home from Chocolate Therapy, the Framingham branch of which I have been to in the past, and then went for a bowling session at Kings, where I lost to my friend, even though I was using my own ball. I blame the lack of positioning doors on the lanes for that, although my friend would think otherwise.

Finally, we went to watch the romantic comedy "Aloha" at the Showcase Cinemas De Lux Legacy Place next door. I did not think that it was that good a movie though.

As we headed for home, we happened to pass by a Fried Chicken Place in the Jamaica Plain area of Boston, my friend had a sudden craving for buttermilk chicken, so we resolved to go have some. Unfortunately, every place we tried to go to was closed tonight, and when we finally found parking on Washington Street in the South End area, we decided to walk to Boston Chops nearby, but along the way, as it was raining, cold and windy, we dodged into The Gallows instead, pretty much by accident as my friend had thought we had already reached our destination. It's a good thing we did though, as this pretty chic place 

actually serves Nashville Style Fried Chicken (cayenne brown sugar glaze, wonder bread, pickles), which we absolutely had to get, of course.

Really Crispy and delectable, though really Spicy as well.

Other things we got were the Out of Control Poutine (Hand cut fries, fresh cheese, gravy with Brussels sprouts and Bacon)

And the Pulled Pork Corn Muffin ( jalapeño Pepper Jelly, avocado, pickled red onion).

Both were excellent as well, especially the Corn muffin with jalapeño flavour, although we could not finish the huge portion of fries given.

Overall, I'm really glad that we stumbled onto this place, and that we had a really fun day.


No comments:

Post a Comment