Saturday, December 22, 2012

December 22nd 2012: A Movie and Hot Pot Buffet Dinner in Boston

Today, I had a meetup event to watch the movie "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", with a subsequent dinner at Hot Pot Buffet on 70 Beach Street in Chinatown.

As the movie was in the afternoon, I still had the whole morning to myself, so I decided to head into Boston early and park at the Boston Common Parking Garage. Before doing that, I headed into the town of Westborough to take pictures of a few places I missed out before.
Memorial,
Milk Street and West Main Street

Mill Pond from Mill Road
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
First United Methodist Church
Unitarian Universalist Church
Evangelical Congregational Church
Westborough Public Library
Old First Baptist Church,
46 West Main Street



Westborough Fire Department
Siloam Lodge

After emerging onto the Boston Common, I headed to the seaport area in South Boston, passing by the St. Anthony Shrine downtown along the way.

While waiting for the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum to open, I decided to check out the Fort Point Channel area,
Atlantic Wharf
Christmas decor outside Intercontinental Boston
John Joseph Moakley Courthouse
Fort Point Channel

especially the views of the Boston Harbor from Fan Pier.


I had to run back in order to be in time for the first Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum tour. On entry, I was given a card and complimentary feather with my identity for the day, being Obadiah Curtis, a wheelwright in the Boston area who kept a bag of tea despite restrictions on doing so, the teabag still in possession by his descendants.

We were first ushered into the simulated old South Meeting House, where the plot to throw the tea was hatched.

After the brief performance here, we were told to don our feathers to disguise ourselves as Mohawks before heading onto the ship the Eleanor to throw the tea cartons overboard.



While I did not throw the tea myself, I managed to take a few pictures of others throwing it overboard.

Next, we headed down into the bowels of the ship to see what life was like on these merchant ships of the time.

From here, we headed back into the museum to see some videos about the aftermath of the Boston Tea Party event leading to the start of the American Revolutionary War. We were not permitted to take pictures in this area, however.

Finally done with the tour, we were ushered out into a little bakery area, where they were serving complimentary tea, and desserts can be bought as well for a small price.

There's also a small gift shop in the museum as well.

After leaving, I decided to head next to the Boston Children's Museum nearby. As I did not have a kid with me, I was made to carry a visitor badge, having to surrender my driving license in return.

This place is definitely a great place to bring kids, being very educational and yet lots of fun. Another interesting part of the museum was the Japanese House, an exact replica of a modern Japanese house with ancient overtones. Pictures of the things I saw here follow.
Finally leaving the museum, I headed to the Independence Wharf 14th Floor Observation Deck. Bet you did not know about this place.

I had to get the security guard to allow me into the elevator to head to the 14th floor, and when I stepped out into the open, the views were fantastic from here. Pictures of downtown Boston and South Boston follow.
Intercontinental Boston up close
After heading back down, I took one last picture of a model of the Fort Point Channel area.
From here, I decided to walk along the Boston Harborwalk for a bit as I made my way to the North End to try to buy cupcakes from Lulu's Sweet Shoppe. Pictures I took along the way follow.
Rowes Wharf
Public Art at Harbor Towers
At this point, while I was at Commercial Wharf, I decided it was time to start heading back into town and look for my cupcakes, passing by the North End Branch Library

and the newly unveiled Tony Demarco Statue on the corner of Hanover and Cross Streets.

Unfortunately, the dessert shop would not accept my coupon for cupcakes as it was the Christmas weekend, as stated in fine print on my piece of paper. I need to read more closely next time.

Heading to the West End on my way back to the Boston Common, I decided to visit the West End Museum. This place is actually pretty hard to find, being a small suite on the side of a much large building, West End Place.

It was interesting to learn the history of the area, how it became a slum with the coming of immigrants, and how the residents were forced out to build the modern West End with the demolition of the old buildings. Pictures I took here follow.

After leaving the small museum, I headed back to Boston Common area. I still had some time here, so I decided to try a second time for cupcakes at Cakeology, and this time I succeeded in getting a dozen mini-cupcakes for my groupon. The inside of this small place was pretty dainty as well.
Mini-Cupcakes (Top to bottom from left: Vanilla Vanilla, Red Velvet,Gingerbread, German Chocolate, Candy Cane, Carrot Cake, Boston Cream Pie, Double Chocolate)
Feeling really hungry as well, I decided to head to UFood Grill, a fast food place nearby, to get a small sandwich. I decided to get the Margherita sandwich, thinking it would contain chicken as well. Unfortunately, it was the vegetarian version of the sandwich, so no chicken , but lots of tomatoes, mozzarella, sun-dried tomato spread and fresh basil on ciabatta bread.

It was alright I guess, performing the function of filling my tummy before the movie.

I have to say, the movie was extremely good, and I look forward to the next 2 sequels. I was unable to offer all my cupcakes to everyone who went for the meetup though. Guess everyone is trying to stay healthy. Oh well, more cupcakes for me. They were really good though.

After the movie, a few of us headed to the Hot Pot Buffet at 70 Beach Street in Chinatown. This was why I had eaten so little all day.

The soups came first, of which my small group ordered the Herbal and the Original.

Next, the meats started coming.
My group was able to finish it easily, with me taking the lead. We even started to eat the other people's portions as well. We even decided to order a second round. Unfortunately, I soon hit the wall, and I was unable to finish everything in the end. I felt a little shameful for wasting food, but at least we were able to cover it up.

After dinner, we decided to head to the New Dong Kanh Restaurant nearby at 81 Harrison Avenue for bubble tea.

I decided to get the Lychee with aloe tea, while my friend got the Durian with boba. Not too bad, for a small Chinese restaurant in Chinatown.

After bubble tea, I decided to go join my friend at Clery's Bar and Restaurant, a pretty upscale bar restaurant in the Back Bay, where they were having drinks. Soon after, we headed to The Estate, a club, for some dancing.

I have not gone clubbing for a while now, but I think I still got my groove. With that, I headed home for the night, reaching home past 2am.




No comments:

Post a Comment