Sunday, December 30, 2012

December 30th 2012: Cambridge after the Snow Storm

After the big snow storm yesterday, I decided to make up for the lost day yesterday by heading out to Cambridge early this morning. After parking along JFK Street, I made my way toward the Episcopal Divinity School, passing by a snow covered Cambridge Common.

The school itself was covered in snow as well.

After exploring the school, I headed to the Longfellow House nearby,

where there was also a snow covered park here.

I passed by several other places before finally arriving at the Mount Auburn Cemetery.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church
Snow Covered Benches by the Charles River
Cambridge Boat Club
The cemetery, most of which is actually in Watertown, was pretty large but quiet and peaceful, although the going was slow as the roads were all icy, so I pretty much spent the rest of the day there. The views from the base of the Washington Tower of Cambridge and Boston were pretty good, although it would have been better if the tower itself had been open. Unfortunately, it is closed until Spring. I am definitely coming back here again to see the views from the tower, hopefully with someone else. Pictures I took here, especially of the views from the tower, follow.
After finally leaving the cemetery, vowing to be back again in a warmer time of year, I headed back to Harvard Square, where I bought my First Night Boston 2013 button at the Au Bon Pain shop there.

I passed by an interesting sight of sparrows warming themselves over the ventilation vents here as well.
I then headed to Somerville for lunch at Mike's Food and Spirits by taking the T from Harvard Square to the Davis Square T Station.
Statues at Davis Square 
Davis Square T-Station
Mike's Food and Spirits is more like a cafeteria, and with my $20 Groupon, I decided to get the Lobster Scampi over linguine, which came with garlic bread. It was so-so, nothing impressive about it.

After my lunch, I headed back to Harvard Square
9 Ware Street
to finish my tour of Harvard University, heading to the east side of the Cambridge campus this time around.

Finally done with Harvard University for good, I continued walking around Cambridge until night fell.

Cambridge Rindge and Latin School
At Joan Lorentz Park,
Broadway and Ellery Street
Cambridge Public Library
Castle at 10 Dana Street
St. Peter's Episcopal Church
St. Mary's Orthodox Church
Central Square Post Office
Guaranty Trust Building,
765 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge City Hall
First Baptist Church
Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church
First Korean Church in Cambridge
Grace Vision United Methodist Church
Carl F Barron Plaza,
River Street and Massachusetts Avenue
When the darkness finally fell, I headed back to my car before heading to Medford for dinner at Asia Palace, a typical Chinese restaurant which also has a sushi bar.

With my groupon, valid only for Japanese dishes, I decided to get the Seafood Salad,

the Mango Tango Roll (Shrimp tempura, eel, crab stick, cucumber and avocado topped with sliced mango), 

and the Scallop Hokkaiyaki. 

The salad and the maki were actually pretty good, and the scallop presentation was pretty good, complete with flames, but when I actually tasted it, the mayonnaise taste was pretty sour instead, making me disgusted with the dish. Overall, I would say this is an okay restaurant, soured partly by my experience with the Scallop Hokkaiyaki dish.

With that, I headed home for the day, looking forward to New Year's Eve tomorrow.












No comments:

Post a Comment