Sunday, December 9, 2012

December 9th 2012: Exploring the South End in Boston

Today was the second day of the SOWA Holiday Market, held at the Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology, so I decided to go check it out by attending a brunch meetup event at Gaslight Brasserie du Coin nearby. After parking near Franklin Square, I walked toward the famous restaurant along Harrison Avenue, happening to find this large wheel like structure at 500 Harrison Avenue while trying to look for the place.

When I arrived at the restaurant, which was already pretty full of people, I found out that the organizer of the event herself wasn't coming, but thankfully I managed to find the other 2 people who had turned up, and we decided to use the reservation for ourselves instead. 

After looking at the menu, I decided to get the French Onion soup, which supposedly had braised beef short rib in it, sometime I have never seen in French Onion Soup,

and the Spicy Tasso Ham and Piperade Tartine, which came with scrambled eggs and chermoula sauce.
I could not seem to find a single piece of meat in my soup, feeling a little cheated although it was still pretty tasty. With regard to the tartine, it looked very much like a creative turn on bruschetta, looking really appetizing, and tasting just as good, with a slight tangy taste.

After brunch, we headed toward the Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology, where there was already a line outside the building waiting to get in, mainly because there was a $5 entry fee.
When the 3 of us, all guys, finally entered the place, we were a little disappointed at how small the place was, and that the things being sold were pretty much stuff catered toward ladies.

A waste of $5, unless you are a girl or trying to get a christmas gift for a girl. Overall though, I had a great time, making a great contact with someone working on the LevelUp app, something I would need for my future business.

After deciding to leave the market, I decided to make a day of exploring the South End, exploring the Boston University Medical Campus area and walking all the way down to the Northeastern University area to explore it as well. What follow are pictures I took of several interesting places in the area,
Union Park,
Union Park Street and Tremont Street
St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church
Boston University Medical Campus
Ebenezer Baptist Church
Chester Park, ~547 Massachusetts Avenue
Hiscock Park
Harriet Tubman Park
Concord Baptist Church


Hayes Park
Betances Mural
Old Franklin Square House,
11 East Newton Street
St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church
St. Katharine Drexel Parish Center

Boston Police Memorial, 1 Schroeder Plaza
Ruggles T Station
Northeastern University

As it got dark, I decided to head back to my car and head out to Jonathan's Bar and Grille in Newton for dinner.

I expected a typical bar restaurant, but it was actually pretty posh, with a large parking garage nearby for it as well. I had $40 to spend here, so I decided to get the Tomato and Basil Soup,

the Lamb Lollipops which came in a red wine glaze with a red onion confit,

and the pork tenderloin special in a red wine sauce.


In my opinion, the presentation of all the dishes were as expected of this high class place, pretty good to say the least as you can see from the pictures. The pork was a little dry though, which was my only complaint.

With that, my day of exploring the South End came to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment