Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December 26th 2012: In Search of the Holland Glen Waterfall, Belchertown

Today, my goal was to find the Holland Glen Waterfall in Belchertown, but before that, I had a few churches I had to visit along the way.

First, I headed to Worcester.
Old Plantation Street Fire Station,
Plantation Street and Franklin Street

Fireman Memorial, Franklin Street Fire Station
Next, I headed into Millbury.
Our Lady of the Assumption Parish
First Congregational Church
Lake Singletary, Millbury Side,
West Main Street and Singletary Road
God's Grace Bible Church
The town of Auburn was next.
First Congregational Church
Faith Baptist Church
Bethel Lutheran Church
Auburn Mall
North American Martyrs Church
Pakachoag Church
Auburn VNA Health Network
Hampton Street Baptist Church

Water Street Veterans' Memorial Park,
Water Street and Southbridge Street
Old Fire Truck
Kusy Park,
Church Street and Southbridge Street
Prospect Street Memorial Park,
Prospect Street and Southbridge Street
Veteran's Memorial Corridor,
Southbridge Street and Washington Street
Oxford was the next town on the list.
First Congregational Church

Vietnam War Memorial,
Water Street and Main Street
St. Roch's Church
Oak Hill Bible Church
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,
49 Old Webster Road
Huguenot Steamer No 1 Fire Museum
First Baptist Church,
693 Main Street
J. Anthony's Italian Grill
Leicester was the last town I visited before heading into Spencer for lunch.
Leicester Church of Christ
Christ Episcopal Church
Greenville Baptist Church
Leicester Town Hall,
3 Washburn Square
Leicester Unitarian Church,
5 Washburn Square
Swan Library, Becker College,
13 Washburn Square
Leicester Lions Park,
Main Street and Bottomly Avenue
Heading into Spencer, I visited some churches before heading to the Black and White Grille for lunch.
Hillside Baptist Church
First United Methodist Church
Soldier's Monument,
~193 Main Street
Old Building, 239 Main Street
The bar restaurant itself was pretty typical, but the Ribeye Surf and Turf, consisting of a handcut and grilled 12oz choice ribeye sirloin steak topped with sauteed scallops and chunky lobster meat in creamy garlic saucewith  was actually pretty good, although I could not finish it.

After my delicious and filling lunch, I continued my trek west, passing through East Brookfield,
East Brookfield Baptist Church
West Brookfield,
George Whitefield United Methodist Church 

North Brookfield,
Pilgrim Baptist Church
Brookfield,
Quaboag Valley Baptist Church
and Ware.
Holy Cross Polish National Catholic Church,
61 Maple Street
Old Congregational Meeting House,
295 Belchertown Road
Finally in Belchertown, I parked near the trailhead at ~308 Amherst Road to start my search for the Holland Glen Waterfall. The path I took here is shown below in blue.
The trek to the waterfall was pretty harrowing, the ground being covered in a layer of snow, and fallen trees all around, added on to the fact that it was growing dark quickly. Somehow, I managed to find my way by following the brook all the way, although when I reached the actual falls I did not know this, and actually went beyond after to start heading up the hill before I realized my mistake and rushed back down as it was already pretty dark.

Pictures that I took of the brook and the waterfall follow.

Somehow, I managed to make it all the way back to the road in the dark, by following the brook as always.

Thankful that the hike was otherwise uneventful, I headed back home for the day, too full to have dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment