Saturday, June 22, 2013

June 22nd 2013: Sightseeing in the Morning, Part 1


Today, after waking up pretty early in my friend's place in Boston, I decided to head out and do some exploring in the Boston area before having to go and do food truck stuff. I first headed to the Mission Hill area, passing by the Baldwin Early Learning Center in Brighton along the way.
At the junction of Huntington Avenue and Tremont Street, I managed to take pictures of a few interesting looking bike racks.
Next, it was on to the East Boston area, where I spent the rest of the morning before heading to the Rose Kennedy Greenway area to meet up with the food truck.
East Boston High School
Iglesia Cristiana Nueva Vida
55 Moore Street
Porrazzo Skating Rink
Grace Federated Church

St. Joseph-St. Lazarus Church,
59 Ashley Street
Noble House, 321 Princeton Street
The first real interesting place I went to this morning was the Condor Street Urban Wild, which borders the Chelsea Creek. This is  a pretty nice park with sculptures, a viewing platform and a small hill atop which the views are pretty good as well. Pictures of this place follow.
Next, it was on to Constitution Beach, which is really close to the Boston Logan Airport, to the extent that one can see planes land and take off from up close. Definitely a place I would take a date to to see the planes. Pictures I took here follow.
from behind

After leaving the beach, where I had walked till there was sand in my shoes, I decided to head to breakfast in town at Donna's Restaurant, a family style brunch place at 980 Saratoga Street in the East Boston area with pictures of Disney characters painted all over the wall.
For breakfast, I decided to get the Pancake Sandwich, which supposedly had an egg placed between 2 pancakes. However, my egg was placed on top of the pancakes when it arrived, and overall the meal was nothing too spectacular.

After breakfast, it was time to continue sightseeing in my next spot, the Belle Isle Marsh Reservation. The views from the marsh were simply amazing, especially from the two viewpoints, one an observation tower on the left, and the other a viewing platform on the right. Pictures follow.
Next, the Mary, Queen of the Universe National Shrine, located in the Orient Heights area of East Boston.

There is an extremely large statue of the Queen Mother here, and the views from here of the Boston area are awesome as well.
Nearby, at ~252 Orient Avenue at a bend in the road, there is also a giant cross here which is lighted up at night and can be seen for miles around.
The views from the top of the hill here are pretty good as well.
From here, it was finally time to go do food truck stuff for the rest of the day, passing by the Wyndham Boston Chelsea along the way.
Halfway through the day, as business was pretty bad, my friend and I decided to take off early and check out the Assembled! Art Market, held at Assembly Row in Somerville.
There were food trucks here as well, and we decided to get the Baja Fish and Saigon Pork Tacos

from the Happy Taco.
Not too bad at all.

When dinner time came, my friends and I decided to go to Pho Hoa in Malden for some Vietnamese food. I was here some time ago getting the pho for dinner, so this time I decided to try the Bo 7 Mon (Beef 7 Courses), consisting of Goi Bo (Vietnamese Beef Salad), Bo Nuong Hanh (Beef Wrapped around Onion), Bo La Lot (Grilled Mint Beef),

Soup Bo (Minced Beef Soup), Bo Nhung Dam (Beef Fondue with Vinegar), Bo Tai Chanh (Raw Beef with Lime and Crushed Peanuts)

and Bo Ap Chao (Beef Fondue with Butter).

The salad, onion wrapped beef, the raw beef and the butter beef were all pretty good, while the soup was just so so, and I did not like the vinegar either. I liked the Bun Dac Biet (Special combination Vermicelli bowl with grilled pork, pork meatball, shrimp on sugarcane and egg roll that my friend got too though.

With that, we headed back to my friend's place in Boston, getting some good rest to prepare for another day of food truck stuff tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment