Sunday, March 2, 2014

March 2nd 2014: Going to the Beaches in Quincy

I had a food truck business brunch to go to in Boston today, but being hungry, I decided to head to the town of Medford for some breakfast at Medford Square Diner. A typical diner, I decided to go with the Hot Chocolate,

the Mushroom Asparagus Swiss Omelette (Mushroom, asparagus, Swiss cheese. Served with toast and crispy red bliss home fries),

and the Mango, Banana Pancakes.
What bad choices they were. The eggs were really bland, while the mango made the pancakes sour. The watermelon slices were not even juicy at all. How could you go wrong with that? Definitely not coming back here again.

From here, it was on to brunch at the Beehive in the South End area of Boston, apparently the best breakfast place in town, though I never had a chance to try until now. Needless to say, the place, which has pretty good decor as well, was packed, especially with the jazz band with when I arrived, but thankfully we had a reservation, so we got seated pretty quickly. Unfortunately, our orders took more than half an hour to come. Thankfully we had a lot to talk about about business, so we managed to pass the time pretty well until our food came. I have to say, it was worth the wait though. My Eggs Shakshuka (poached eggsNorth African-style tomato saucepolenta and Moroccan sausage) were excellent, the tomato sauce simply heavenly, and the sausage was a perfect addition to complete the picture.

The Thick-Cut French Toast (Chantilly Cream, Maple Syrup)

and the Quiche with Mushrooms, Spinach, And Bacon

that my friends got were really good as well. 


I have to say, this is the definitely the best brunch place I have been to in town, hands down. After the meal, I had the rest of the day to do my own thing, so I decided to head into Quincy
Squantum Pumping Station,
26 Newland Street
War Memorial,
Huckins Avenue and Newland Street
First Congregational Church of Squantum

Korean War Memorial,
Merrymount Parkway and Hancock Street
Butler's Pond
to check out the beaches there, as it seemed that the snow on the beaches had melted over the past few days. Firstly, Nickerson Beach, which I have visited a few times before.
Next, a much smaller beach at Orchard Beach nearby Orchard Street and Bayside Road.
It was back to Wollaston Beach after that, this time to travel the entire stretch of beach.
Finally leaving the beaches, I checked out the Caddy Memorial Park on the other side from Wollaston Beach, which looks out into the marshes.
My final destination of the day was Merrymount Park at the end of Vienam Veterans Drive, which has views of the swamp as well.
Finally, I called it a day for sightseeing, and headed into Brookline for a Japanese dinner at Mr. Sushi. The decor was okay I guess,

but I had a terrible experience with the food I got. The miso soup and side salad were okay I guess,

but the Wasabi Shumai (round shell shrimp dumplings served steamed) were definitely a nose clearing experience, definitely not to my fancy.

The Maguro Yamakake (grated japanese yam over chunks of raw tuna topped with a quail egg) had an interesting presentation and ingredients, but tasted really bland.

Even my main dish, the Yosenabe (assorted seafood, vegetables, and tofu simmered in a mild fish broth) was nothing amazing either.

Not coming back again for sure.

Today was a pretty disappointing day overall, with no sun in the sky, except for brunch of course. Not a good end to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment