Monday, March 31, 2014

March 31st 2014: Getting My Socks Wet in Spencer

Today after work, I decided to go hiking at the Sibley Farm area, parking at the lot on Greenville Street in Spencer. The path I took to get to the various viewpoints is shown below in pink.
When I started on the hike, I already knew that it was going to be a wet one, waterlogged soils being the only path I could walk on. Getting up to Burncoat Hill was pretty treacherous, and the views were just decent.

From here, I headed down the hill to Otter Pond, where streams blocked my path to it, but I just willed myself to find a way across, and did so, barely. After taking my pictures here,

it was time to head back. With the sun quickly setting, I decided to take the Sibley Trail back this time, but instead of avoiding the wet path, this one was even worse, with me literally wading to my ankles, and my path collapsing beneath my weight at times, so much so that when the road was finally in sight, I decided to go to it instead of following to my car, using the road instead to head back.

Finally back in my car, I decided to head for dinner at Barber's Crossing, a bar restaurant in the town of Leicester.

I decided to go with the Flowering Onion (colossal white onion battered and deep fried)

and the Yankee Pot Roast (slow roasted, topped with beef gravy and served with mashed potatoes & vegetable). 
The onion was pretty good, although it got a bit too much after a while, especially because I am not particularly a fan. The pot roast was pretty tender, but otherwise just average.

Overall, a decent meal, after a crummy day of hiking in Spencer.

No comments:

Post a Comment