Thursday, August 22, 2013

August 22nd 2013: Salem Tunnel Tour in Salem

Today after work, I had a tour about the old tunnels built in the town of Salem with Salem Tunnel Tour. Before that, I decided to grab some dinner at Sakura, a small Japanese restaurant in the town of Winchester. After looking at the menu, I decided to get the Una Coco Maki (apple, kani, tempura crumbs topped with eel, coconut flakes, homemade sweet sauce),

which actually was pretty good.

I was almost late for my tour, but somehow I managed to find parking right next to the Custom House, which is pretty difficult on a Thursday night, so I was right on time. I was the only one on the tour tonight though.

I have to say, the tour was a pretty enriching experience. I never knew that tunnels existed below Salem, even though I have been here quite a few times, even more that they were everywhere here, linking all sorts of buildings to each other. Even houses were built with 4 chimneys to support the tunnels. Of course, these tunnels were used for all sorts of purposes over the years, especially illegal means, like smugglers trying to avoid paying taxes on goods etc. However, most of these tunnels have been filled up or used for sewage or electrical and gas lines,

even covered by large rocks used as memorials. I was still able to see some of the openings though, like one on the Salem Common,

and one that looked more like a drain on the roadside.

Tunnels with power lines



It was also interesting to note in winter, one can see the entrances to tunnels, as the air there is warmer and melts the snow faster. His stories got me to buy his book, Salem Secret Underground: The History of the Tunnels in the City. I look forward to reading it. 

My tour guide was apparently psychic as well, so our conversations also included haunted houses in the area, murders and conspiracies that people till today were still trying to hide, and he showed me pictures of ghosts manifesting as orbs, and his own personal experiences with spirits and demons as well. Apparently they don't like cameras and like to drain their batteries or damage them. My tour guide did tell me about the House of Metal Creatures as well and how ghosts would drain camera batteries if we tried to take pictures of the sculptures there.

After I was tempted to go and see if his story was true, but as it was already dark, I decided to come back another time in the day to do so.

With that, I headed home for the day, satisfied that this tour was worth my travelling all the way to Salem.







2 comments: