Friday, August 2, 2013

August 2nd 2013: Conveyor Belt Sushi at Enso Kaiten Sushi, Boston

Today was the last day of work for my intern, so I decided to bring him out for lunch. As it turned out, my other group of friends was heading out to 2ovens in Shrewsbury for lunch, so we decided to tag along as well.

After everyone arrived, it was down to ordering. I have been here before, so I decided not to get pizza this time, getting the Chef's Plate of Black Pepper Shrimp and Sweet Potato Wedges (spicy pineapple, cucumber wasabi dressing, maple mustard dipping sauce)

while my friends got the Spicy Chicken Wings (lemon, olives and rosemary),

the Oven Roasted Chorizo (spicy veal sausage, sweet and sour plums),

the Pesto and Shrimp Pizza (goat cheese and roasted pepper),

the Garlic Mushroom Pizza (fontina, sage and caramelized onions)

and the Spicy Pineapple and Prosciutto Pizza.

As always the food here is pretty good. The chorizo sauce was interesting especially, tangy and yet with a BBQ flavor.

After work, I had a meetup dinner at Enso Kaiten Sushi at 75 Kneeland Street near Chinatown in Boston.  This place has free parking behind in a pretty big parking lot. This might be of great use in future when I cant find parking in the area. The place itself is a conveyor belt sushi restaurant, where sushi dishes are carted around on mini conveyor belts that snake around the tables, allowing customers to pick and choose what they want right from their tables,picking the ones they want off the belt and onto their tables.

This is the first conveyor belly sushi place I have been to outside of Singapore, where pricing is based on the color of the plates you choose, each color garnering a specific fixed price per plate. We had over 60 people at the event, sitting 6 a table all over the restaurant. With my group of 6, we picked out a lot of sushi plates, including the Orange Lotus Roll (California with spicy salmon topped with lotus chips), 

the Godzilla Roll,

the Zombie Roll,

the Philadelphia Roll,

the Salmon Roe Nigiri and Tofu Fries.
Overall, the sushi was very uninspiring, with a lack in originality, although it was pretty alright I guess. The most disappointing part was that the salmon roe and the tofu fries were extremely salty. One good thing was that after all the food we got, the meal still only cost $20 per person. I definitely will never step foot in this restaurant again though.

After a pretty bad dinner, we headed to the Terrace at Avenue One rooftop area near Chinatown. I was a little disappointed in the place, as it was surrounded on all sides by concrete walls instead of being a real rooftop, although it was still full of people tonight.

I still had a fun time with friends and meeting new people all night, and it was already the next day by the time I headed to my friend's place to stay over for the night. It will be a day of doing food truck stuff tomorrow. Fun fun.







No comments:

Post a Comment