Sunday, December 21, 2014

December 21st 2014: Sightseeing and Eating from Boston to Salem

I had a meetup brunch at Barcelona Restaurant in Brookline this morning, but before that, I decided to head to Refuge Cafe, a pretty hippie place in the Allston area for a quick bite,
getting the Allston Sunrise (2 eggs over medium, bacon, swiss, avocado, spicy mayo on multigrain) sandwich.
Pretty good way to start the morning I guess.

I headed to Barcelona next, but was still pretty early, so I decided to check out another pretty upscale cafe nearby in Brookline, Cafe Fixewhere I got the Affogato (espresso triple ristretto with ice cream).
I liked the presentation, but it was way too bitter for me, even with the ice cream. I had to pour syrup into it to make it better.

Judging from the crowd here though, looks like a pretty popular place in the area.

Finally, it was time to head to the restaurant itself.

After looking at the menu, I decided to not get anything off the brunch menu, getting the tapas instead, namely the Seared Foie Gras (Toasted Brioche, Quince Mostarda),
the Grilled Hanger Steak (black truffle vinaigrette)

and the Spinach Chickpea Cazuela (cumin, roasted garlic).
My friends got other stuff including the Albondigas (meatballs in zesty tomato sauce), of which I got to try the Potato Tortilla (chive sour cream),
the Spicy Eggplant Caponata (Basil, Parsley),
the Kale Salad (Anchovy Vinaigrette, breadcrumbs)
and the Crispy Pork Belly (Spicy Napa Cabbage).
The foie gras was excellent, as one would expect as it was double the price of every other dish, while the hanger steak looked a little plain and not worth the price, although still good. The cazuela had a nice curry flavor to it, while the potato was just plain bland. The eggplant was not too bad, although the kale was a bit bitter, and the pork belly would have been much better if it had been crispier.

Overall, not too bad, especially considering the ambience, but Toro is still better.

After brunch, I headed to Watertown to check out the Watertown Historical Society, where I was given a tour of the place by a guide dressed in colonial garb.

It was interesting to learn that the Edmund Fowle House, where the museum is located, was where the pre independence government constantly met, and where the first treaty after independence was signed. Pictures I took here follow.
From here, it was on to explore the town of Middleton,
St. Agnes Church
Middleton Pond, 35 Lake Street
Emerson Brook Reservoir, 217 North Main Street
Creighton Pond, 2357 Essex Street
where I was able to look around the Flint Public Library.

With that, I was done with Middleton, and passed through Danvers
Calvary Chapel of the North Shore

and Beverly
Colgate Park, End of Colgate Road

on the way to dinner in Salem at A and B Salem, a burger place that has taken the place of the Great Escape Restaurant, which I had been to in the past.

The decor was still pretty much the same inside the old Salem jail, and I had hope for the food, which was good with the Great Escape Restaurant.

With my deal, I got the Mashed Potato Tots (filled with cheddar cheese, bacon and scallions), the Potatchos (homemade potato chips, topped with shredded cheese, homemade pineapple pico de gallo and homemade chilli),
and the Shepherd's Pie Burger (mashed potatoes, bacon bits, American Cheese, grilled corn and homemade gravy) for food.
The tots were just okay, while the chips tasted weird, and the gravy for the burger was way too salty.

For dessert, I got the Creme Brulee (Vanilla)
and the Empanadas (blueberry).
The empanadas were so-so, even with the blueberries and vanilla ice cream, while the creme brulee was not bad.

Overall, I can't believe I drove all this way for such a crappy dinner. To think that only the creme brulee was good.



No comments:

Post a Comment