Saturday, December 13, 2014

December 13th 2014: 3 Meetup Meals in One Day

I started out early this morning in the town of Seekonk, visiting a few places
Our Lady Queen of Martyrs
Newman Avenue and Arcade Avenue
Free Methodist Church,
453 Taunton Avenue
before heading to the Caratunk Wildlife Refuge for a hike. The path I took here after parking at the lot on Brown Avenue is shown below in brown.
I first made my way to Muskrat Pond, which wasn't really much to see,
Next, it was on to the observation platform in the northernmost part of the reservation,
where the views of the wetlands from here were not very impressive either.
From here, it was on to the Ice Pond,
then to the powerlines where I had some trouble finding my way back into the woods. After doing so, it was pretty smooth sailing back to my car, although I did go the wrong way around to find Monument Rock.

After leaving the area, it was on to another hike at the Seekonk Meadows, located behind the Seekonk Public Library. The path I took here is shown below in pink.
The park itself is not too bad,
and there were okay views of Gammino Pond as well.
Overall, a much better place than Caratunk.

From here, it was on to North Attleborough to visit the Falls Fire Barn Museum, passing through East Providence RI
Newman Congregational Church
First Baptist Church
East Providence Community Center,
1320 Pawtucket Avenue
Bethany Church of the Nazarene
Church of the Epiphany
St. Margaret Church
and Pawtucket RI
St. Teresa of the Child Jesus Church
Epworth United Methodist Church
Goff Junior High School
St. Cecilia Church,
750 Central Avenue



along the way to the museum.
Standard Chain Company,
84 Chestnut Street
The museum itself is housed within an old fire station, and the pictures I took here while the curator showed me around the place follow.
Next, it was on to my next museum in Medfield, at the Medfield Historical Society.

Really small, and really disorganized. No pictures here though.

From here, I headed for my first meetup meal for the day: dimsum at The China Restaurant and Sports Bar in Quincy.

This place looks more like a sports bar than a Chinese restaurant, hence the name I guess. We had a lot of food today, most of it pushed onto us by the waitresses with their food carts. Pictures of the delicious food follow.
Everyone was surprised to discover that the filling for the green balls was actually durian, with some of my friends refusing to eat it thereafter.
Even more surprising was the discovery of a tiny crab inside one of the clam shells.
My friend actually ate it as well, saying it did not taste like much.

After finally being done, we decided to take a walk to Yocha nearby for dessert. I enjoyed my dessert the last time I was here, so I was looking forward to more. This time, I decided to get the Purple Hawaiian Soup with Sweet Potato,
which was pretty good for a while, but got a little intense after eating it for a bit, especially with the ginger in it.

The Ying Yang (black sesame soup with peanut mochi balls and tofu pudding) my friend got was much better though.
After getting back to my car, it was on to Hingham for a bit,
Hingham Public Library


North Beach,
Howe Street and Parker Driveway
Hingham Harbor,
Downer Avenue and Cushing Avenue
Foundry Pond,
Rockland Street and Kilby Street
By the time I reached Weir River Farm, where there were beautiful views,

I realized I had no more time to explore the area, so I headed for my next meetup meal in Boston at Deep Ellum, which I had just been to a week ago for brunch. This time, I got the Root Beer Braised Pork Belly (Smoked turnip puree, pickled cranberries, toasted hazelnuts)
and the Pan Seared Monkfish (Squid ink couscous, apple-beet puree, shaved Brussels sprouts, bacon vinaigrette).
I do have to say the monkfish was a little on the bland side, although it was really fresh. The pork belly was decadently delicious though, with all its fat. The Best Wurst Appetizer (One housemade sausage, mustard and seasonal pickles) my friend got wasn't anything special either.

As I had another meetup dinner to go to, I decided to leave my friends a little early, heading to Crave: Mad for Chicken in Chinatown, where my next event was.

I have only eaten takeout from here before, so tonight was my chance to eat at the restaurant for once. My side of the table got the Seafood Pancake,
the Truffle Fries,
the Sushi Pancake,
and of course lots of chicken.
The fries and the sushi pancake was actually pretty good, although the seafood pancake was nothing to speak of. The chicken was good as always, although it took the longest to come out.

With all the meals I had already eaten today, what we had here was enough for me, although everyone else in my group was still a little hungry.

I decided not to stay though, heading to Newton instead, where I decided to watch the movie "Interstellar" at the Chestnut Hill SuperLux Movie Theater.

This place is super fancy,
with expensive movie tickets and reclining seats, although the feet could not be raised at the price I paid. I got a $5 credit for food, which I could order from my seat with the lighted menu provided.
Aparrently, the menu is totally different if I had paid more for my ticket. Oh well. I decided to just get Sour Patch Kids in the end, and that lasted me well past the movie, which started out pretty good for me, then transcended into nonsense. I don't know why so many people think this movie was good.

I also think the theater in Braintree is much better and cheaper than this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment