Tuesday, December 16, 2014

December 16th 2014: Lunch in Worcester, Dinner in Amherst

I had time today at work, so I decided to head out for lunch,  heading to Livia's Dish in Worcester. This place is definitely one of the better looking breakfast places in town.

For food, I went with the Harvest Fall Panini (thin sliced prosciutto, fresh pear, fig jam, cheddar cheese and arugula), along with a bowl of Lemon Chicken Soup.


The soup was a little too sour for me, but thankfully the sandwich was excellent, the sweetness of the pear and jam going well with the saltiness of the prosciutto, and crispness of the pear, prosciutto and bread giving it texture. Pretty good meal to say the least.

After work, I decided to head to Amherst for dinner at Bistro 63 at the Monkey Bar and Grill, a pretty upscale place located in the heart of a college town.

I had a coupon, so I had to get a lot of food. I started with a cup of Lobster Corn Chowder (New England style with potatoes,  bacon, corn, Maine lobster),

then the Pork Shank (slow cooked,  apple cranberry chutney,  coleslaw)

and the Zucchini Nest (Warm matchstick Zucchini, fontina,  almonds) for appetisers,

followed by the Salmon Al Porto (roasted with honey dijon glaze,  pistachios,  vanilla orange wine reduction, sautéed spinach,  roasted vegetables) for my main dish.

The soup was pretty good, though small in portion, while the pork was falling of the bone good. The Zucchini was surprisingly tasty as well, especially with its nutty flavour. The salmon wasn't too dry either, the sauce going pretty well with it too.

For dessert, I went with the Monkey Pie (ore cookie crust, thick chocolate mousse filling, sliced banana, whipped cream finish).

It was okay I guess, although the banana was frozen and I could not taste much of it.

Overall, a pretty good dining experience, not something one would usually expect in a college town like Amherst.

After dinner, I headed to the Amherst Cinema nearby to watch "Birdman".

I don't know what the hype about this movie is all about.  The story was very weird,  bordering on being illogical. Definitely not my type of movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment