Sunday, December 7, 2014

December 7th 2014: Sightseeing from Hingham to Salem

I started out this morning in Hingham, visiting several places in town,
North Street Community Church of the Nazarene
New North Church
Lincoln Memorial,
North Street and Lincoln Street
St. Paul Parish
First Baptist Church

Old Ship Church
Hingham Institution for Savings
Hingham Bell Tower,
~107 Main Street
St. John the Evangelist Church

Central Fire Station
Dependable Cleaners


Iron Horse Park, 3 Otis Street
Lincoln Maritime Center
including Bathing Beach at Summer Street and Ship Street,



Whitney Wharf Park right next door at Summer Street and Water Street,
and finally a hike at World's End, although I had to pay a $6 fee to visit it. The path I took here from the end of Martin's Lane is shown below in pink.
Beautiful place with open fields, beautiful views of the ocean and even Boston, and it wasn't that bad a hike, even with the strong freezing winds present today.
I even saw a group of deer in the woods here.
From here, I had to rush to Boston for a meetup brunch event at Deep Ellum, a bar restaurant in the Allston area of Boston.
Pretty much everyone was already present when I arrived, but thankfully no one had ordered yet. I decided to get the Kielbasa and Egg Sandwich (House-smoked kielbasa, fried egg, horseradish aioli, VT cheddar on an English muffin with home fries),

sharing the Poutine (Fries, duck gravy, cheese curd, and rosemary)
and even trying my friend's Country Fried Steak (Skirt steak, sausage gravy, Texas toast, and homefries).

Not bad, but nothing amazing.

From here, it was on to Nahant to resume my sightseeing for the day, visiting the Nahant Historical Society.

I wasn't allowed to take pictures here, but it was interesting to learn about Nahant's history as an island that could only be accessed at low tide, much like the islands in Quincy. Thankfully, there is a nice scenic causeway linking the islands to the mainland.

Next, it was on to Swampscott for the most part of the day, visiting a few places
Marian Court College
Foster Pond, 126 Windsor Avenue

Town Common,
Monument Avenue and Elmwood Road
Chabad Lubavitch of the North Shore
Swampscott Church of Spirtualism
Fire Department
Swampscott Town Hall
First Church in Swampscott Congregational
Swampscott Train Station
Old First United Church, 143 Burrill Street
Swampscott Fish House
and the beaches here.
Francis Cassidy Reservation,
End of Martin Way
Whale's Beach, 152 Puritan Road
King's Beach,
Humphrey Street and Monument Avenue

Eiseman's Beach, 188 Puritan Road
Phillips Beach, End of Ocean Avenue


Fisherman's Beach,
Humphrey Street and Greenwood Avenue

From here, it was on to Salem for the rest of the day.
Run-A-Muck Child Care Center
Gallows Hill Park,
Mansell Parkway and Witch Hill Road
Harmony Grove Cemetery
Mack Park, 28 Tremont Street
Furlong Park,
Franklin Street and Foster Street
McCabe Marina, 104 Kernwood Street
Juniper Point Beach,
Juniper Avenue and Beach Avenue
Leslie's Retreat Park,
End of North Street

Finally, it was too late to take any more pictures, so I decided to head to Lynn for dinner at the Porthole Restaurant, a family style bar restaurant in town.
With my deal, I had to get a lot of stuff, getting the Seafood Bisque,
which was pretty good, so I thought my meal would be better, but my Caesar Salad
only had 3 measly croutons in it, while my Rumaki
though interestingly tasty with liver in it, had pieces of toothpick stuffed inside as well.

My main dish, the Claire's Seafood Supreme (Lobster,shrimp,scallops baked in a rich, creamy cheese sauce),
was disappointingly cold as well.

Even my dessert, the Tapioca Pudding,

was not to my liking with weird balls of tapioca embedded in the pudding.

Overall, a really unpleasant experience, definitely not coming back here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment