Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29th 2014: Shark Cage Diving in Narragansett RI

I had to get to the Port of Galilee area in Narragansett RI really early for my shark cage diving experience with Snappa Charters this morning, so I went around a bit to take pictures before it actually started.
Water Tower,
Point Judith Road and Galilee Escape Road
Port of Galilee, 33 State Street
Fake Lighthouse, end of Succotash Road, South Kingstown
Our boat was pretty small,
which made me worry that I would be seasick, which I indeed became as soon as we set off.

The cage itself was pretty big, and we would have to enter from the top itself.


By the time we reached our target destination far out at sea, I was already extremely sick, having vomited several times already. The cage and the floating platform was hauled out into the sea,
and a few of us went out to the platform, risking the presence of sharks,

with chunks of bait being hurled out to sea to attract them to come to the boat,
and indeed they came, right up to the boat itself.
Sharks that appeared today included a blue shark and a mako shark. Even European Storm petrels were attracted to the bait.


It was cool to be able to see these sharks up close, but oh, the seasickness. I'm just glad the trip back was not that bumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment