Saturday, July 19, 2014

July 19th 2014: Cycling the Erie Canal from Canajoharie to Niskayuna

There was an alternate route to take again this 7th day of cycling the Erie Canal, but as it was unmarked, my friend decide not to go with me.

This path took me back to downtown Canajoharie,
Riverfront Park,
Church Street near Incinerator Road

Dummy Light,
Church Street and Montgomery Street
Memorial Clock,
Church Street and Montgomery Street


back into the town of Palatine,
Mahan Park, 8 East Grand Street

and into the town of Mohawk, where I stumbled upon the Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community, a farm where I did community service many years ago.
It was nice to see the familiar buildings once again, although they were covered in snow the last time I was here.
Next, it was on to the St. Kateri Tekakwitha Shrine, the only Native American saint.

From here, I went up the steep Hickory Hill Road to visit the Caughnawaga Indian Village Site.
then back down into downtown Fonda in Mohawk,
Old Building, 46 West Main Street
St. Cecilia Church, 26 Broadway
Fonda Reformed Church
crossing over into the town of Glen
Jackson and Betz Funeral Home
Fultonville Reformed Church,
1 Church Street
World War I Monument,
South Main Street and Church Street
for a rest stop, before moving on to the town of Rotterdam
Erie Canal Lock 9
Lighthouse Church
St. Margaret of Cortona Church

passing Lock 8
and the old Lock 23

before finally entering the city of Schenectady.
First Reformed Church of Schenectady
First Presbyterian Church
St. George's Episcopal Church
Friendship Baptist Church, 409 Union Street
Union College
St. Anthony's Church
Reformed Church in America,
1790 Grand Boulevard
Finally, I entered the town of Niskayuna, reaching our campsite for the day at the Schenectady Jewish Community Center

only to realize I had totally missed out on the Schenectady County Historical Society Museum, and it was already too late to turn back.

After setting up camp, I was hungry, so I decided to get a Veggie Pocket from the Lewis and Frieda Grayson Snack Bar on site, thinking it was more the pie than the Mediterranean wrap I got.

It was pretty good though.

We had a huge feast for dinner tonight, as it was the last night of the ride, with performances from various volunteers and fellow cyclists.

Overall, it was a fun last night. Time to head back to the real world tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment