Sunday, July 20, 2014

July 20th 2014: Cycling the Erie Canal from Niskayuna to Albany

We woke up early this final day of cycling the Erie Canal,

heading to Lock 7

and into the town of Colonie
Thaddeus Kosciuszko Bridge
before reaching the Cohoes Falls at Falls View Park in Cohoes.
Cycling on, we passed a few places in town
Calvary Grace Church,
228 North Mohawk Street
Craner Park,
North Mohawk Street and Church Street
Harmony Mills
before heading into Waterford,
Saratoga Avenue Bridge

where there were painted mules all about town,
passing Lock 2
the Waterford Harbor Visitor Center
and the Peebles Island Bridge North on Second Street and Front Street.
Next, it was on to the Peebles Island State Park
Peebles Island Bridge South, Delaware Avenue

where there was the last rest stop of the trip.

From here, it was on to the Van Schaick Island back in Cohoes

and the town of Green Island,
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church

pushing into the village of Menands in Colonie, before finally reaching Albany itself.
Livingston Avenue Bridge, Quay Street
New York Department of Environmental Conservation
State University of New York
Corning City Preserve
We had to go over a pedestrian bridge at the Corning City Preserve
and bring our bikes down the stairs at the other end.

Finally, it was the last stretch to the finish line, passing a few places along the way.
Tricentennial Park, 560 Broadway
First Church in Albany
Old Union Station
Old Post Office
Hudson Harbor Steak and Seafood,
351 Broadway
Halve Maen 1609, 140 NY-5
KeyBank Building, 66 South Pearl Street
UHaul Truck atop building,
139 Broadway
Our Lady Help of Christians Church,
66 Second Avenue
After crossing the finish line at the Albany Visitors Center, we found our luggage, then it was up to me to cycle back across the Dunn Memorial Bridge
into Renssalaer
Herrick Street Bridge

to get the car from the Albany Rensselaer Amtrak Train Station.
I took one last picture of the St. John the Evangelist Church

before finally going to pick my friend up from the finish line, and begin the long drive home. I have to say, this bike trip was very fun, despite being tiring at times.

I arrived home pretty early, and after my friend left, I decided that the rest of the day was not to go to waste, so I decided to head up north to start sightseeing for the rest of the day. I was hungry, so I decided to stop at the Black Sheep Tavern, a dive bar in Sterling, for a bite, getting the Thai Peanut Chicken (wings deep fried and dipped in sweet and spicy Thai peanut sauce, served with sweet and sour sauce).

Not too bad, but the peanut and sweet spicy flavors did not stand out very well, so the wings were just alright.

From here, it was on to the town of Ashby,
Fitchburg Reservoir,
495 Rindge Road
Ashby Reservoir, 800 South Road
where I decided to go for a hike up Blood Hill, located at the end of Luke Road, despite my tired legs. The path I took, the only one available here, is shown below in black.
The views from the top were pretty good, with Ashby Stock Farm in the distance,

and I actually went to the farm next at 1155 Main Street in town, where the far reaching views here were awesome as well.

From here, it was on to Ashburnham,
Stodge Meadow Pond,
20 Stodge Meadow Road
Wallace Pond, 180 Rindge State Road
then Winchendon,
White's Mill Pond,
Lake View Drive and Beach View Drive
Stoddard Pond,
Baldwinville Road and Mill Glen Road
before finally heading to the town of Orange for dinner at Boiler Bar and Grille, a bar restaurant in town.

I wanted to try their BBQ stuff, but as it was their last hour of operation, only the limited pub menu was available, and I was forced to go with the Boiler Room Club (ham, bacon, and turkey triple decker on toast).
It was actually pretty good. I'm seriously considering going back there if I'm ever in the area again. With that, a long and tiring week of non-stop exertion finally came to an end. Glad I survived my biking experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment