Friday, July 4, 2014

July 4th 2014: A Day of Cycling in Central West Massachusetts


Today, I started off in Granby, where I passed by several painted dinosaurs in town.
Granby Country Grain
68 Pleasant Street
RJ's Outdoor Power

Granby High School

MacDuffie School
Apparently the dinosaurs are part of a fundraising program, and the rainbow dinosaur was actually part of a controversy due to its gay connotations. Thankfully, the town decided that the dinosaur could stay after all.

Other places I passed by in town follow.
MacDuffie School
Chateau Harmony, 185 West State Street
From here, I headed into South Hadley.
Second Baptist Church
Easthampton Savings Bank
Our Savior's Lutheran Church
Leaping Well Reservoir, 438 Granby Road
Town Common,
College Street and Hadley Street
First Congregational Church
Village Commons
In Hadley,
Most Holy Redeemer Church,
120 Russell Street

I decided to get a Boston Cream Donut breakfast from Donut Man as I did not know if other restaurants were open this Independence Day.

Nothing special here.

From here, I headed to the junction of Whalley Street and Railroad Street to resume my conquest of the Norwottuck Rail Trail from yesterday.

There were fallen trees from the storm that happened late last night that partially blocked my path along the way,

but I wasted no time in reaching the Norwottuck Rail Trail Bridge,
where the views of the Connecticut River were as beautiful as the last time I was here.
After finally reaching the end of the trail at ~64 Woodmont Street, I proceeded to the Northampton Bikeway by crossing the railroad here, heading northward. At Look Memorial Park, I decided to stop for a bit and check it out.







This park is pretty big and serene, with various waterfalls and fountains.

an amphitheater for arts performances,


a play area for kids with a spray park,


bumper boats,


mini-golf,
a train going around the park,



and a really small zoo to boot.
I finally resumed my cycling northward after leaving the park,
Rock Art
Mill River Dam
heading past the northern end at the end of Grove Avenue to a walking path that eventually became too tough to cycle and I was forced to turn around.

Along the way back, a hungry me realized that the Miss Florence Diner was open, so I dropped by for a meal in the crowded diner, getting a Hot Chocolate and the Miss Flo's Talking Dixie (homemade southern corn muffin covered with grilled sausage and smothered in country style gravy).
The meal was delicious, the saltiness of the gravy going really well with the sweetness of the cornbread.

Continuing on my way, I passed by downtown Northampton
and the old Union Station
to the end of the bikeway at 170 Pleasant Street.

From here, it was straight on to the Manhan Rail Trail on the opposite side of Pleasant Street,

passing by the Mill River among other things
on into Easthampton,

where the trail branches 2 ways at the old Industrial Properties building at ~26 Ferry Street.
I decided to head northeastward first with nice views of the mountains to my right,


and the Oxbow in Northampton to my left.

After reaching the end at 978 Mount Tom Road, I headed back to the branch, stopping by the Lower Mill Pond at Ferry Street and Emerald Place for a bit.
Resuming my ride, I passed by Millside Park at 2 Ferry Street,
downtown Easthampton,

Old Fire Station, 84 Union Street
Easthampton Fire Department


and Rubber Thread Pond
on the way to the end in Southampton at 12 Coleman Road.

Heading back into Easthampton, I decided to stop by in town for lunch at Glory of India, which was pretty nicely decorated, but really empty today.
 I decided to get the Garlic Chicken and Shrimp (shrimp and chicken smothered in freshly blended garlic sauce, served with Basmati rice and naan) for my meal.

A complimentary Lentil soup was given to me, but it was a little sour for my liking.

The curry itself wasn't too bad, although the chicken was a little dry.

After lunch, even though it had already started to rain, I decided to walk around town a bit
Old Town Hall, 43 Main Street


Easthampton Congregational Church
Young World Childcare Center
Pulaski Park, Main Street and Pleasant Street
With that, I cycled all the way back in the cold rain from here to my car, which was still parked in Hadley.

From here, I went to visit the Amherst Farm Winery in Amherst for some wine tasting.
Not a fan of the wine here though, being a little too strong for me.

From here, I drove all the way to 49 Miles Road in Rutland to finish the rest of the Mass Central Rail Trail, this section passing through Oakham and ending at 1069 Worcester Road in Barre.

I passed by Thayer Pond in Rutland, which was frozen the last time I was here,
Muddy Pond
and power lines in Oakham,
and finally the Ware River area in Barre.
From here, I decided to take the road part of the way back to the car, riding beside the Ware River much of the way.
Finally back in my car after being totally drenched from the rain, I decided to head toward home, chancing upon the Worcester County Memorial Park in Paxton, which has several beautiful memorials strewn all over the cemetery.
For dinner, I decided to stop by Peking Garden at 618 Chandler Street in Worcester for Chinese takeout after realizing that Stake's Sports Pub in town does not even serve food at all.

I decided to get the Fried Sugar Donuts

and the Hot Spiced Beef,

which weren't too bad actually.

With that, a long wet day of cycling in the rain finally came to an end. Hope it does not rain this badly during my bike trip in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment