Tuesday, July 15, 2014

July 15th 2014: Cycling the Erie Canal from Pittsford to Seneca Falls

The 3rd day of cycling the Erie Canal involved getting out of Pittsford, which was hard to do considering it was raining cats and dogs. I have been training in the rain in the past, so I was ready to go, but my friend wasn't, so I decided to head out by myself, spending the rest of the day by myself as I was going at a much faster pace after fixing my bike seat height.

I passed by the village of Fairport in Perinton,
Parker Street Bridge,
Parker Street and Liftbridge Lane East

and by the time the rain stopped 2 hours later, I had almost reached Lock 30 in the town of Macedon.
There is the Palymra Macedon Aqueduct waterfall in the Macedon section of the Palmyra Macedon Acqueduct Park at ~ 2598 West Main Street,
and heading into Palmyra,
Division Street Bridge,
198 Division Street

 the remains of the aqueduct in the park itself.
There is another waterfall at Ganargua Creek at the junction of Hammond Road and Palmyra Newark Road in Palmyra,
before I finally reached the Spencer Knight Canal Port at Van Buren Street and East Avenue in the village of Newark in Arcadia.


I decided to stop for a while in this village to check out the Hoffman Clock Museum, located within the Newark Public Library.
A pretty decent collection of clocks, some interestingly designed, to say the least.

There are some interesting stuff in the library itself as well.

While in town, I checked out a few other places as well.
Newark First United Methodist Church
St. Michael's Catholic Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church
Newark Central Park,
Church Street and South Main Street
Park Presbyterian Church
House of Praise,
210 East Avenue
First Baptist Church
East Avenue Bridge,
East Avenue and Van Buren Street
Proceeding on with my bike ride, I passed by Lock 28B,

and the town of Lyons,
Lyons Fire Department
where I accidentally dropped my phone on the road, which ended up getting run over by a car. Thankfully, it still works.

on the way to the rest stop on the town common at South Park Street and Sodus Street in the village of Clyde in the town of Galen.

Here, I decided to head to the Galen Historical Society nearby,

where there were some interesting stuff inside, showcasing the glassworking history of the town.

Next, I headed to the Clyde United Methodist Church,
where the ladies had prepared sandwiches for the cyclists. After finishing my delicious egg sandwich, I went upstairs to check the church out for a bit.

From here, I visited a few other places in town
KeyBank Building, 97 Glasgow Street
St. Joseph the Worker Church
Old St. Paul Lutheran Church,
48 Caroline Street
before leaving town, cycling through some country roads on my way to the town of Seneca Falls, where we were camping for the night at the Mynderse Academy.

Along the way, I happened to pass 2 Amish girls who were selling cookies by the side of the road, and I could not help but want to buy one. They were pretty good actually.

My friend actually arrived pretty soon after I did at the campsite, and after we were done setting up camp, we took the shuttle into downtown Seneca Falls, where our first stop was at the Women's Rights National Historical Park.



It was especially saddening to see how the wearing of corsets in the past cause women to disfigure their own bodies.

From here, we visited a few other places in town
Women's Interfaith Institute
Declaration Park
Old Seneca Knitting Mills, 1 Canal Street
before it was on to the Seneca Falls Visitor Center, where they had a few exhibits as well.

The National Women's Hall of Fame was right across the street.
I did not recognise most of the women's names on the list,

although here are some I did.

From here, we headed to dinner at the Trinity Episcopal Church,

where the folks had made a cheap dinner of spaghetti and meatballs and chicken, along with free bread from Dave and Rita's Farm Market and Bakery.
After dinner, we visited a few more places
First Presbyterian Church
Van Cleef Lake, Fall Street and Trinity Lane
before finally heading back to camp for the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment