Sunday, September 2, 2012

September 2nd 2012: Acadia National Park, Part 2

Today, everyone was still sleeping when I got up, so I decided to drive out and explore Acadia National Park a little.










My first destination was the top of Mount Cadillac, passing by the Sieur du Monts Spring area.

Sieur du Monts Spring House
(for refrigeration)
Native American House
Wild Gardens of Acadia



From here I headed to Mount Cadillac, where the views of the surroundings were simply astounding. Pictures follow.





















After driving the long looping drive back down, I headed to the Park Loop Road, which is a one way road, to visit the other sights in the park. First was the Schooner Head Overlook, with a decent view of the Atlantic Ocean and Egg Rock and its lighthouse.
Egg Rock
Next, I headed to Sand Beach, which was a quiet lovely beach this time of morning.







Moving along, there were many beautiful views of the rocky coastline along the road.







Next up, Thunder Hole, where it was cool to hear the sound the waves made as they crashed against the rocks.



Waves crashing against the rocks
I stopped at the Otter Cliff area to take some pictures as well.
















Nearby was Otter Cove, where it was low tide.


Otter Creek
The last place I visited before heading back was Seal Harbor.




When I got back to the Blackwoods Campground, everyone were just starting to wake up and prepare breakfast, which consisted of eggs, pork buns, bacon and instant noodles for me.


After breakfast, we decided to drive to Northeast Harbor in Mount Desert, ME, where we decided to do some of the biking trails in the Bald Peak area. Unfortunately, it started pouring soon after we started cycling, and after several minutes of waiting in vain for the rain to stop, we decided to head back, going to the Colonel's Restaurant and Bakery in Northeast Harbor for lunch after doing so.

After being seated separately, we got the Spinach and Artichoke Dip with tortilla chips for appetizers, while I got the Lobster and Scallop Casserole for my entree.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Lobster and Scallop Casserole










After lunch, we decided to drive around, but unfortunately no one in my car checked where we were actually going, following the leader, until my car, being the last in the line, was prevented from doing so by deer crossing the road.
Thankfully, we made the right choice, guessing that they had gone up Cadillac Mountain. Due to the weather, the mountain peak which had been clear this morning was now shrouded in clouds, although it gave the area a mystical look. See for yourself from the pictures I took here.









From here, we headed back to the Bar Harbor town center to check out the shops there. I took this time to do some more sightseeing.


The Village Green
Bar Harbor Congregational Church
St. Saviour's Episcopal Church
Holy Redeemer Church,
21 Ledgelawn Avenue





I then headed to the Agamont Park area again, where I saw the tall ship from yesterday heading out to sea.




It was at this time that a double rainbow emerged over the horizon as well.








We headed to Ben and Bill's Chocolate Emporium for some ice cream afterwards, where I decided to get some Lobster ice cream with bits of real lobster meat in vanilla ice cream, in an M&M cone. It was actually quite good, especially the frozen lobster meat.
Lobster statue outside the shop
After ice cream, we headed back to camp, where I started packing up to head back, as I have to go to work tomorrow. We had one last dinner, with pulled pork, sausages, more instant noodles and yogurt chicken made by my friend, which was delicious, and then my friend and I headed back home.
Pulled Pork 
With that, a perfect weekend of biking in Acadia National Park ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment