Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 30th 2012: Nightlife in Boston

This morning was a little rainy, so after waiting for the rain to stop, we decided to have brunch at Jan's Kitchen at 580 West Boylston Street in Worcester, a pretty run of the mill breakfast place.

We had to sit apart for a while as there were still a few people eating, but by the time our food arrived, we were able to sit together. My friends got the Shaved Steak sandwich with Potato Salad and Belgian Waffles, while I got the Big Slam, which comes with bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, home fries and pancakes. I was actually supposed to get a 13 inch pancake, but the waitress warned me about it, so I decided to get 2 small pancakes instead. Apparently, if I had finished the large pancake, my picture would have been taken and put on the wall of fame.
13 inch pancake
Shaved Steak



The Big Slam
Belgian Waffles

Even with the smaller pancakes, I could not finish my meal. Oh well.

After a filling breakfast, we decided to head up Mount Wachusett in Princeton to see some views from the top, even on a cloudy day like today.

On the way up in my car at the first viewpoint, I took a few pictures of the fall scenery here.









I was surprised when we finally reached the top in my car, as the construction that had been here before was longer present, and in its place was a tall watchtower.
The new watchtower
Unfortunately, the ladder up was withdrawn and locked in place, so we could not go up.

The views from the platform below were still pretty good though.




Firefly (Photuris lucicrescens)




On the way down, we passed by the ski slopes with several great views.









From here, we headed into Boston to drop my friend off at the airport, before heading to the Courtyard Marriott Boston Downtown, where my other friend had a room for the night. After parking my car right next door, I walked into the hotel to check out the place, and it was pretty nice inside the hotel.

While waiting for my friends to settle into their room, I headed out and walked around to take some pictures.
Holy Trinity German Catholic Church
The Metropolitan Condominiums


We were to meet our other friends in Chinatown, so we walked there. While waiting outside Xinh Xinh Restaurant at 7 Beach Street, my friends decided to head to the Bao Bao Bakery and Cafe, a typical Chinese bakery, at 77 Harrison Avenue nearby, where they have pretty decent bubble tea. My friend got the Papaya shake.
After my friend arrived, we went into the Vietnamese restaurant, which was pretty small compared to the rest of the Vietnamese places nearby. My friend got the Pho Xe Lua, the typical large bowl of pho with all the meat available added in, while I got the Pho Sate Dac Biet (House Special Spicy Sate Rare Beef Noodle Soup). My other friend got the Goi Cuon Bo Nuong (Beef Vietnamese Spring Rolls) and the Goi Du Du (Papaya Salad with Shrimp).
Goi Du Du
Goi Cuon Bo Nuong



Pho Xe Lua
Pho Sate Dac Biet











I have to say that the soup did not taste like it had any MSG at all, which was very different than the other restaurants in the area. I have to say this is my new favorite Vietnamese restaurant in Boston.

After dinner, we decided to do a little bar crawling. Our first bar was the Sweetwater Tavern near the hotel. It was a pretty typical bar, where I decided to get the Eskimo, made of Smirnoff Ice, Cruzan Citrus, Mango and Sprite, on top of BBQ Wings to fill us up.
Restaurant Decor
BBQ Wings and Eskimo











After the wings were done, we headed next to the Beantown Pub, another bar on Tremont Street. Upon looking at the menu there, I could not resist but order the Chocolate Nachos, which had chocolate flakes and caramel in place of cheese and salsa. My friend also got the Baked Jumbo Pretzels with honey mustard on the side.
Chocolate Nachos
Jumbo Pretzels











The nachos were pretty good, although I would have appreciated more chocolate.

The next place we went to was Scholars Boston Bistro, which was surprisingly, but pleasantly, empty on a Sunday night. We were able to have the pool room all to ourselves, and we played a few rounds of pool there, although I still wasn't very good.

After the game, we decided to call it a night, and headed back to the hotel, passing by the Cutler Majestic Theatre at Emerson College.

When I approached my car, I realized that I could not park it there all night, so I decided to head home instead of staying the night.

With that, a fun day of exploring bars in Boston came to an end.







No comments:

Post a Comment