Sunday, September 23, 2012

September 23rd 2012: The Blue Man Group, Boston

Today, I decided to use my Groupon from Smart Destinations for 3 different tours, one to visit the Harvard Museum of Natural History and Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, another to ride the Beantown Trolley around Boston, and the last to do a USS Constitution Cruise in the Boston Harbor. I also had another Groupon to go watch the Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse.

As I drove toward Harvard Square, I passed by a few places in Brighton along the way.
Brighton Court
Shaloh House Jewish Day School



St. Columbkille Church
Finally in Cambridge, I parked outside the new BonChon Chicken Restaurant in Harvard Square before heading to Harvard Yard.
Winthrop Park,
Winthrop Street and JFK Street
Harvard Square,
JFK Street and Brattle Street



Brattle Square,
Brattle Square and Mount Auburn Street
Sumner Statue, Dawes Island Park,
Massachusetts Avenue and Garden Street

First Parish Cambridge
Monument at Harvard Square





Entering the Harvard Yard at the very center of Harvard University, I started taking pictures of the various buildings on campus while making my way toward the Harvard Museum of Natural History.
Harvard Hall
The Gates into Harvard Yard


Widener Library
Boylston Hall

John Harvard Statue
Weld Hall
Sever Hall


Emerson Hall
Harvard Memorial Church


Houghton Library
Four Piece Reclining Figure

Adolphus Busch Hall
Memorial Hall


Arthur M. Sackler Museum
Naito Laboratory


Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations
Cambridge Fire Headquarters
After I finally reached the museum, I realized that I had left my ticket in my car, and the lady would not let me in. After trying to search through my email for it in vain, I finally decided to head back to my car to get it. I took more pictures while heading back.
Harvard Museum of Natural History
Old College Pump
Science Center

Malinkrodt Labs
When I finally got back to the museum, it was already one hour later. When I got back to the girl at the counter, she then told me that for Massachusetts residents, it was free on Sundays. All that time wasted!!!

What follows next are pictures of all the interesting creatures shown in the extremely large museum.

Birds' Nests
Ruby Throated Hummingbird


Argus Pheasant
Northern Parula


Common Tailorbird Nest
Canary



Flowers Made of Glass


Extinct Bird Skeletons
Creatures preserved in formaldehyde



Jumping Animals
Insects


Preserved crustaceans
Giant Hairy Scorpion






Colorful birds
Birds and their eggs
Endangered Birds

Hierarchy of eggs






Spots and Stripes
Fossil Glyptodonts and Megalodons



Dyeing Poison Frog
Harvard Mastodon



Giant Freshwater Turtle
Coelacanth




Eryops and Dimetrodon
Kronosaurus

Triceratops Head
Chilean Rose Tarantula

Corythosaurus

Squid and Octopi

Seashells



Teleost Fish
Whale Bones















Baleen whale
Gypsum Desert Rose


Gypsum
Crocoite
Rock Collection




From here, there is direct access to the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, which is free as well with admission to the Natural History Museum.
Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
Bonampak Murals
Mesoamerican Exhibits

Drums Trumpets and drums




Pacific Islands Collection

Creek Council Houses
Witchita Houses


Western Mono (Monache) House Group
Tlingit House Group

Native American Collection

Ceramic Art
I enjoyed my visit to both museums, but the day was still young and I still had two more tours to go for. I took a few more pictures of campus buildings on the way back to Harvard Square
Biological Laboratories
Elephant Engravings on the walls
Rhino Statue



Door to the labs
Converse Memorial Laboratory
Swedenborg Chapel
As it would be difficult to find parking today, I decided to leave my car in Cambridge and take the T into Boston from Harvard T-Station.
At Harvard T-Station
After leaving Downtown Crossing T-station in Boston, I walked to the Long Wharf area to take the Beantown Trolley, passing by the 1 India Street building and the Rings Fountain.
1 India Street
BNY Mellon Center

The Rings Fountain
Arriving at the Long Wharf area, I saw the trolley sitting by the side of the road, ready to go.
Beantown Trolley
The Boston Harbor Cruises booth was very nearby, but when the conductor told me that the trolley was leaving in 5 minutes, I decided not to go check with the booth as to where to go to board my cruise ship. My second mistake of the day.

Sitting on the trolley to get to the Charlestown Navy Yard, where I thought I would be able to board the USS Constitution and actually go out into the Boston Harbor on it, I could not take much pictures of buildings while it was moving. I have to say it is a convenient way to get around Boston quickly, but as it is only one way, it is hard to turn back. It is good that you are allowed to hop on and off at any of the stops if you are interested in looking at the attractions it stops at.

It was here that I found out from the park ranger that the large ship itself did not move at all. Apparently, the cruise I was to go on was to be on a smaller cruise ship owned by Boston Harbor Cruises, located back at Long Wharf, which I had just left in a hurry. The only way back, was to take a ferry, which was a few more bucks, or to walk all the way back. I decided to do the latter, so that I could take more pictures on the way back.

While here, I decided to take some pictures of the ships and the park anyway.
USS Constitution
USS Cassin Young




At Charlestown Navy Yard
Commandant, First Naval District






USS Constitution Museum
Giant Ship Anchors





Muster House, 31 5th Street
On the path back, I had to head back over the Charlestown Bridge, passing by the beautiful Paul Revere Park along the way.
Paul Revere Park




Charlestown Bridge
Right beside the bridge is also the Colonel Richard Gridley Locks at the end of Beverly Road, which changes the water levels to allow boats to come in from the sea into the Charles River.

The view of the TD Garden from here was awesome as well.

TD Garden
After crossing the bridge, I decided to revisit the North End Parks, starting at the beginning on Causeway Street near Haverhill Street, with the great view of the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge and making my way back southwards toward Long Wharf.
Leonard P Zakim Bridge
Haymarket Station
Parcel 7 Parking Garage, 136 Blackstone Street














North End Parks

Armenian Heritage Park

Greenway Carousel, Atlantic Avenue and Cross Street
Harbor Islands Pavilion



After getting my ticket for the USS Constitution Cruise, I still had a lot of time to spare, so I decided to head to City Hall Plaza to look for something quick to eat.

Today was the Mayor's Cup here, where tons of people were cycling in the city for the day. It was really crowded here as most people had already finished their cycling, but thankfully there were two food trucks here for me to get food from, namely Mei Mei Street Kitchen and Kickass Cupcakes.
Kickass Cupcakes
Mei Mei Street Kitchen

I decided to get the Porky Rice Ball and Beef Dumplings from Mei Mei Street Kitchen, and the Super Chocolate cupcake from Kickass Cupcakes.
Porky Rice Ball
Beef Dumplings

Super Chocolate Cupcake
Although all the stuff I got was really good, the portions were really small in my opinion, and were pretty pricy as well.

Heading back to Long Wharf, I decided to walk around the Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park at the waterfront for a bit.
Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Garden
Christopher Columbus Park







Christopher Columbus Statue
To get back to the aquarium area for my cruise, I decided to take a shortcut by walking through the Boston Marriott Long Wharf Hotel.


While waiting in line to board my boat, I was finally able to take pictures of the fast boat Codzilla, and of the cruise ship Fort Independence I would board for my trip.
Codzilla
Fort Independence











The cruise itself wasn't much, as I have already done similar cruises before. Thankfully it was free for me. I did take some pictures of new things I missed out before, like the Nantucket Lightship, which is a historically significant moving lighthouse that is being converted to be used for commercial purposes.
Nantucket Lightship
Piers Park
Tobin Bridge











The boat stopped at Charlestown Navy Yard, where I was just hours before. I decided not to get off this time as I had to go to catch the Blue Man Group show.
USS Cassin Young
Guns at the harbor
USS Constitution











On the way back, I took more pictures of the condominiums and the Old North Church steeple in the North End.
Old North Church in the distance
US Coast Guard First District





Battery Wharf
Burroughs Wharf



End of Long Wharf
Finally back on land, I made my way toward the Charles Playhouse, taking more pictures along the way.
New England Aquarium
Dolphins Sculpture,
between Milk Street and East India Row


Mist Spewing Structure,
Wharf District Parks
Flour and Grain Exchange Building




Lamppost at Fort Point Channel Parks










St. James the Greater Church
Painting at Dewey Square Park














100 Federal Street
United Shoe Machinery Corporation Building






One Winthrop Square
Metropolitan Midtown Boston Condominiums

Tufts Medical Center


Unfortunately, it was at this point that all my cameras ran out of battery, so I was unable to take many photos of the Blue Man Group performing, which was an extremely funny, interactive and enjoyable experience.
After the show, as I had nothing to take pictures with, as even my Blackberry had run out of battery as well, I was forced to head back to my car in Cambridge using the subway, where I had another backup camera.

After charging my cameras for a bit, I decided to resume my exploration of Harvard University, visiting the Harvard Kennedy School, and the buildings near the Charles River.



Taubman Building,
Harvard Kennedy School
Weld Boathouse
Charles River from the Anderson Memorial Bridge

Near the John W. Weeks Bridge, there was a mini choir called the Revels RiverSing going on on the Cambridge side.

With the sun setting, I managed to visit a few more places in Harvard University before I had to call it a day.
Adams House
Lowell House

Rosovsky Hall
Time for dinner. From my list of Groupons, I decided to use the one at Shiraz Persian Cuisine in Watertown.

This place is in a pretty quiet part of town, although it was nicely decorated inside.
Restaurant Decor


With $30 to spend, I decided to try the House Doogh, a carbonated yogurt drink. It was a little too sour for my liking though.
For my dinner, I decided to try the Mirza Ghassemi, a hummus like paste made of a mixture of sauteed eggplant, onion, tomato paste, garlic and egg, which went really well with the bread provided. The Shiraz Soltani, consisting of a skewer of marinated ground beef and a skewer of combination of beef tenderloin and marinated chicken tender with basmati rice and roasted tomato, was excellent as well.
Mirza Ghassemi
Persian Bread Starter

Shiraz Soltani

After finishing my dinner, I still had room for dessert. I wanted to get the Zoolbia and Bamieh dessert, but they were out of it, so I was forced to get the cream puffs, which were just ordinary although still good.
With that, my day of mistakes while exploring Harvard University and a bit more of Boston came to an end.






















No comments:

Post a Comment