Saturday, September 1, 2012

September 1st 2012: Acadia National Park Part 1

In order to arrive at the Blackwoods Campground in Mount Desert, Maine, on the outskirts of Acadia National Park, I had to drive out  at 2am in the morning. When I got there, it was still an hour before the main office opened. I had no phone reception here, so I decided to park my car and take out my bike to try to find them. Even after cycling through both Loops A and B, I could not find them at all, so I had to wait until 8am when the office opened to get my parking pass, and I finally found out where my friends were staying.

Everyone was just waking up when I found them. After a fun breakfast, I biked around and took some pictures while waiting for everyone else to get ready.
Milkweed Tussock Caterpillar
Grasshopper

A dangerous looking axe
Finally, we were ready to go. As our friends had to go rent bikes in Bar Harbor, we decided to bike there from our campground.

There was the annual Fair on the Green occuring today at the Village Green in Bar Harbor.
Fair on the Green
When we were about to set off again after meeting our friends, but my other friend realized that he had a flat tire, so I had more time to explore at the Agamont Park area. There were beautiful views of the harbor area from here, especially of the tall ship in the harbor.
At Agamont Park
Tall Ship at Port
Bar Harbor Ferry











Cannons
Bar Harbor Inn













Back on the road again, we our next destination was Jordan Pond House for lunch, passing by Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond along the way.

Eagle Lake











Jordan Pond


At Jordan Pond House, we had to wait a while before we got our table for 13 people. According to my friends, the popovers here were amazing, so I got one with my lobster quiche, not knowing what one even looked like.
Blueberry a la mode

Popover
Lobster Quiche

Popover with ice cream
We also had some dessert, with popovers with ice cream and blueberry a la mode. The popover was excellent, especially with the strawberry jam they provided us. The blueberry dessert was just like a pie without much crust.

After lunch, we decided to bike back to our campground. I set up my tent, while others prepared the fire for dinner.
My Tent
For dinner, we had interesting food. Other than the chips I brought, we had yams with melted marshmallows, and steaks grilled to our liking, with me having them rare.
Yams on the fire
Beef Steaks



Yam with marshmallows
The fire
I was tired from my long drive this morning, so I decided to go to bed early, while everyone else stayed up till 3 am. This ended my first day of fun at Acadia National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment