Saturday, September 8, 2012

September 8th 2012: The New England Dessert Showcase 2012

Today, I had VIP tickets to the New England Dessert Showcase 2012, set in Sheraton Boston Hotel.

After parking at the Boston Common Garage in the morning, I still had a ton of time, so I decided to walk the entire Commonwealth Avenue Mall. I passed by several interesting buildings along the way as well. Pictures of the mall, which I walked from the Public Garden all the way to the Kenmore T-Station, and the buildings I passed by, follow.
Taj Boston
Heritage on the Garden




Commonwealth Avenue Mall
Alexander Hamilton
John Glover


First Baptist Church
First Church of Boston
Burrage House


Patrick Andrew Collins
William Lloyd Garrison


Vendome Fire Memorial
Boston Women's Memorial


Samuel Eliot Morison
Domingo Faustino Sarmiento


End of Commonwealth Avenue Mall
At the end, I ventured further to Kenmore Square to take a few more pictures.
Giant Citgo Sign
At Charlesgate Park,
Kenmore Street and Commonwealth Avenue



Hotel Commonwealth
Kenmore T-Station











From here, I decided to take the Boylston Street route back to the Sheraton Hotel to attend the Dessert Showcase.

Charles River by the HH Richardson Bridge,
Boylston Street near Charlesgate
The Charles River
Memorial on Richardson Bridge
Giant Saxophone,
Berklee Books + Music
Hynes Convention Center T-Station


Finally at the Sheraton, it is really beautiful on the inside. I had a little trouble finding where the showcase was, finally finding it at the Republic Ballroom.
Inside the hotel


Inside the showroom
At the Dessert Showcase










There were several companies displaying the desserts they got, including Fratelli's Pastry Shop, Cookie Lady Treats, Konditor Meister, Chocolate Therapy and Golden Cannoli Shells.
Some of the desserts I had are shown below. I especially liked the swan-shaped cream puffs from Konditor Meister.
Desserts from Fratelli's Pastry Shop
Limoncello
Cupcakes






Konditor Meister Desserts
Golden Cannoli Shell Treat
Finally stuffed with dessert, I decided to leave to do more sightseeing in Boston. I decided to use my groupon deal at Soulfire in Allston.

I first went to the Christian Science Plaza area, where there was a beautiful fountain and a reflecting pool filled with water. I then headed to Beacon Street, which I then walked all the way back to my car.
The fountain
Reflecting Pool



Boston Symphony Hall
Engine #33, Ladder 15,
941 Boylston Street

Saint Cecilia Church
After getting the groupon from my car, I decided to head to the Charles River Explanade area, passing by the Liberty Hotel and Charles/MGH T-Station.
Charles/MGH T-Station
Liberty Hotel

I tried to walk the Longfellow Bridge to get to the Esplanade, but there was no way down, so I had to backtrack to get back on course.
On the Longfellow Bridge
Finally on the Esplanade, I took more pictures of the Salt and Pepper Bridge and some memorials I missed out on the last time I was here.
The Salt and Pepper Bridge
Memorial in the middle of the Esplanade

Walking all the way past the Harvard Bridge, I took a few pictures of the buildings across the river in Cambridge.
McCormick Hall at MIT
Hyatt Regency Cambridge

Boston University Dewolfe Boathouse
At the Dewolfe Boathouse area, there was an overhead bridge heading to the Marsh Chapel area of the Boston University, and I went over after noticing the tower in the School of Theology.

I did a bit of sightseeing here on the way to Allston.


Harry Agganis Statue
School of Theology





Nickerson Field
Marsh Chapel


Heading into Allston, I passed by a few places before reaching Soulfire.
St. Luke's and Margaret's Church

Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church
Allston Directional


Soulfire was a pretty much typical BBQ place, just a little nicer with a bar-like atmosphere. I had a $25 coupon here, so I decided to get the Soulfire Chilli, and the 3 Meat Combo with Chopped Brisket, Pulled Chicken and Beef Ribs, with collard greens and baked beans on the side.
Soulfire Chilli
3 Meat Combo



All the dishes except for the collard greens were pretty good, although I could not finish my meat after all the desserts I had eaten.

After leaving the place, I headed back to explore the Boston University a little more.
BU Grounds West
Fountain outside College of Communication


Alfred L Morse Auditorium
Sculpture outside College of Engineering


Heading back along Beacon Street, I passed by Church Court, an old church converted into condominiums on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Beacon Street.
Church Court
Next, I headed back to the Prudential Center area to take a few pictures of buildings I missed.
116 Huntington Avenue
The Berkeley at 420 Boylston
500 Boylston Street
After finally getting back to my car, I decided it was time to head out to Brookline to do some sightseeing there before going to dinner at Oishii with my friends.

Here are a few of the places I managed to go to before it got too dark.
Griggs Park
Pierce School

Memorial outside Brookline Town Hall
Brookline High School
After picking up my friend along Chandler Street back in Boston, we headed to Oishii to have dinner. My chef friend had complimentary stuff for us to eat as always, on top of what we ordered.

Rainbow Trout Terrine
Tuna with vanilla gelato on pineapple

Another Complimentary Dish
We decided to get the Tuna Mango with Baby Ginger on Crispy Seaweed Squares and the Kumamoto Oyster Tempura Maki, with tempura fried oysters, orange zest and lemon foam in a ginger balsamic reduction, for appetizers.
Tuna Mango with Baby Ginger in Crispy Seaweed Squares
Kumamoto Oyster Tempura Maki




On top of the delicious dishes, my friend got the Steamed Lobster Tail, which was topped with a crispy Filo net, garlic lobster sauce and grilled pineapple, while I got the Uni Pasta with egg.
Steamed Lobster Tail
Uni Pasta with Egg



At this point, I had to go get my friend coming from New York from South Station.

After coming back from a harrowing ride in Boston traffic, I ordered my friend the Rock Shrimp Explosion Maki, which he liked a lot.
We finished everything off with the green tea triamisu dessert, which was the only disappointing part of the dinner as it tasted kinda weird.
With that, we waited for our chef friend to get off work, then we set off for The Forks, ME, where we were to go white water rafting tomorrow morning on the Kennebec River.


















































No comments:

Post a Comment