Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 19th 2013: Dinner at Flatbread Company, Somerville

Today after work, I was to have dinner with some friends at Flatbread Company in Somerville.
When I reached Somerville, I was a little early, so I decided to first use my Groupon at Doowee and Rice nearby to grab a quick bite before heading to my final destination. This place looks like a typical Chinese takeout place, although the food is actually pretty creative, the restaurant being owned by a group of young Asians.

I decided to try 2 of their chinese buns, thBraised Pork Bao-Baos (Slow braised tender pork, sweet sauce, scallions, crispy shallots, garlic chili sauce) and the Medium Rare Marinated Steak Bao Baos (secret marinade, Vietnamese chimichurri, scallions, crispy shallots), 

and the Heart-y Fries (crispy chicken hearts over french fries smothered in great white sauce, garlic chili sauce, and veggies).
The Heart-y fries were pretty good, while the buns were simply excellent. Of course, I did not eat much at this point as I still had more food coming.

As it turns out, the pizza place is located together with Sacco's Bowling Haven, which I had done some candlepin bowling a while back. It also has a pretty large oven in the back, pretty close to where my friends and I sat.


We waited for more people to come, but in the end it was only the 4 of us. 2 of my friends had already eaten here before, so I took into consideration their recommendations before finally deciding to go with the special for the day, a small vegetarian pizza containing roasted cajun sweet potatoes, portabellas and broccoli rabe with mozarella, parmesan, herbs and scallions. 

My friends got thHalf Cheese and Herb (premium whole milk mozzarella and imported Parmesan cheese, baked on organic bread dough with homemade organic garlic oil and sprinkled with own blend of organic herbs) and half Homemade Sausage(homemade nitrate-free maple-fennel sausage with organic sulfate- free sundried tomatoes, caramelized organic onions, organic mushrooms, whole milk mozzarella and Parmesan cheese baked on organic bread dough with homemade organic garlic oil and organic herbs) Pizza. 
Both pizzas were actually pretty good, although I like my own better, even though I'm a more fervent meat eater.

I could only finish half my pizza though, but we still had space for dessert, getting the Barbara’s Homemade Brownie Sundae (warmed in wood-fired oven and served with Annabelle’s all-natural vanilla ice cream, warm homemade chocolate sauce and whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup) for myself

and the rest sharing a Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich.
The desserts weren't too bad either, though nothing amazing in my opinion. I had a lot of trouble finishing my dessert as well as I was so full already.

With that we headed home after a fun night of chatting where I was the only guy at the table. Thankfully, I was taking the day off tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment