Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March 6th 2013: Dinner at Tico, Boston

Today after work, I had a dinner appointment with a friend who just moved to Boston for his job. I decided to use my Groupon at Tico, an upscale tapas place in downtown Boston, for the occasion.

When I arrived in town, the traffic was so bad that I gave up looking, deciding to give my car to the valet instead. It was only after I had already given him the keys that I could not help wondering if he might not be a valet and just have stolen my car, even though he gave me a ticket to get the car back later. I don't think I'll ever use a valet again after this.

Anyway, Tico is pretty much like Toro in the South End in terms of design and lighting, although it is a much larger restaurant. It was still pretty full of people though. Thankfully, I had made my reservation much earlier.

The tapas selection I felt was not as diverse however, and I had a hard time deciding what to get, so I let my friend decide. We got the Scallops with Carrot Harissa,

the Crispy Fried Chicken with Fennel Slaw and Spicy Buttermilk Dressing Tacos,

the  Sweet Sticky Southern Riblets and Salsa Criolla, 

the Grilled Octopus with Tiny Potatoes,

Aji Amarillo and Panca, and the Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Kumquats, Mint and Jalapenos for the tapas plates.

Due to the lighting or lack of it, I could not take really good pictures, having to flash my friend several times, no pun intended.


The brussel sprouts were an interesting touch, with different sorts of flavors to it, while the octopus was really fresh and tender. The scallops were pretty good with the sauce, and the riblets were tender and flavorful, especially with the sauce and its spicy kick to it. I was really disappointed with the chicken tacos however, which were pretty bland, even with the salad on top.

My friend has a pretty small appetite however, so it was up to me to finish most of the food. We still had money to spend on my Groupon though, so we decided to get the Golden Delicious Apple Tart, Pastry Cream, Caramel, Pepitas, and Vanilla Ice Cream, which was really tasty, especially with the caramel.

With that, we got the valet to bring back my car, which thankfully came back after a short wait, and I drove my friend home to Malden before heading home myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment