Saturday, March 16, 2013

March 16th 2013: Firepits and Fondue at Aragosta Bar and Bistro, Boston




I decided to start off today with breakfast at the Sweet Peach Diner in Belmont. When I got there, the small space was already pretty full at 8 o'clock in the morning. Thankfully, there was still space for me at the bar, and if I had arrived a few minutes later, that space would have been gone.

After getting seated, I decided to get the Southern Pulled Pork Benedict, having never had pulled pork in eggs benedict,

and to complete my groupon deal, I got the Southern Peaches and Cream Stuffed French Toast as well.
The eggs Benedict were simply excellent. I could not say the same about the french toast, which was interesting with the peaches, but pretty bland after a while. However, I think this place is pretty good for breakfast, with pretty interesting food on the menu.

From here, I headed into Cambridge, visiting places
Franklin Street Park
Royal Sonesta Hotel
Station H-4, SP Boston Barracks
Craigie Drawbridge
Lechmere Canal Park,
1st Street and Thorndike Street

like the CambridgeSide Galleria

and finally North Point Park, where there is the North Bank Bridge extending into the Paul Revere Park in Boston.  The views of the surroundings at North Point Park were pretty amazing with clear skies.
across the water and railway
Zakim Bridge

With that, I headed into Boston over the North Bank Bridge

into Paul Revere Park

and Nashua Street Park as well.

From this area, I went to visit the Massachusetts Historical Society, a small, free museum which contains artifacts from the Revolutionary War and Civil War related to Boston.
From here, I decided to visit Jillian's, a really nice bowling alley/pool hall/bar nearby. I have to say it is definitely much better than Kings Back Bay, which I bowled at a while back.

Next, I headed to the Fenway Park area
Boston Arts Academy
to take pictures of statues around the stadium.
I wanted to do a tour of the baseball park, but the tickets were sold out, so I decided to head to lunch at Khayyam Restaurant in Brookline instead.
There wasn't anyone in the small restaurant this time of day, and I got down to ordering, getting the Taddig (Crispy Rice topped with Khoresht)

and the Aash Reshteh (Persian Soup: fresh vegetables and herbs, noodles, Black-Eye Beans, Chick-peas, and Lentils flavored with sautéed Onions and Mint).
Unfortunately, both dishes tasted extremely weird to me, and I did not enjoy my meal at all. I tried to salvage it by getting the baklava dessert, 
but the presentation and taste were just average. Don't think I'm coming back here again.

From here, I walked to the JFK National Historical Site, but the house where he was born was closed for the season.


I also passed by the Edward Devotion School on the way back to my car.


From here, it was on to explore more museums in Boston. First up, the Metropolitan Waterworks Museum in the Brighton area. This place houses the pumps used to provide Boston with its drinking water supply from the nearby Chestnut Hill Reservoir,

all the way from historical times to the 1970s, when water pipes were still made of wood.

The free admission museum itself is pretty small, containing all the old engines, with explanations on how they were designed and worked, and a 2nd floor to view the machines from above as well. Pictures of the engines follow.


After leaving the museum, I decided it was finally time to tackle the Bunker Hill Monument in the Charlestown area.


After passing the security checkpoint, I walked out of the building beside the monument and headed toward the entrance of the monument, where there is a replica of the very first monument placed on this famous hill which was a major battleground during the American Revolutionary War.


I had not read how many steps there would be to the climb to the top, but as I passed the 100 step mark and onwards, I realized just how unfit I was.

Thankfully, I managed to make it up all 294 steps to the top.

The views of the areas all around were pretty amazing.
Thankfully, the walk down wasn't as tiring, though still long.

After getting to the bottom, I headed next to the Bunker Hill Museum right across the street. This place, which is pretty small, has some interesting dioramas depicting the famous battle on Breeds/Bunker Hill.

After leaving the museum, I visited a few places in the Charlestown area before heading to the East Boston area to have some pizza at Santarpio's Pizza, the oldest pizza joint in the Boston area.
Courtyard Condominiums
St. John's Episcopal Church
Mary Colbert Apartments,
20 Devens Street
John Harvard Mall
After finding parking nearby in East Boston, I headed into Santarpio's Pizza, which was a little grungy looking at first glance, probably because it has been here for over 110 years.

After seating myself at the bar and looking at the decorations, including boxing gloves from famous boxers like Mohammed Ali,


I decided to get the Works Pizza for myself, containing pepperoni, onions, green peppers, sausage, mushrooms and anchovies.

The pizza was so large that I could only finish half of it, but it was pretty good. I had a good time conversing to the Irish lady beside me, who talked to me about a lot of things including having to cook corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow.

After getting my pizza to go, I decided to spend the rest of the daylight hours sightseeing in East Boston before having to head to Battery Wharf for a meetup event at Aragosta Bar and Bistro.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church
Lewis Mall,
Marginal Street and Lewis Street
Our Lady of the Assumption Parish,
404 Summer Street

Maverick T-Station

The views of downtown Boston from Piers Park were stunning.
The views from the Navy Fuel Pier nearby were pretty awesome as well.

As I was leaving Navy Fuel Pier, I happened to notice an interesting Ursula Sea Witch looking sculpture on top of a building,

so I went through the open gate to take a look, only to discover more and more pieces of artwork as I continued into the Boston Harbor Marina and Shipyard area. Apparently this is part of the Boston Harborwalk in East Boston as well.

The Natucket Lightship LV-112 is also located here, though it is closed for the season till April. I'm definitely coming back here to visit it someday.
Finally, it was time to head to Battery Wharf. I took the train to Aquarium T-Station, then walked to the restaurant, which was extremely posh to say the least.


To do our fondue, it is held outside, in the still cold weather.
Thankfully, the fires lighted were able to keep us warm for the rest of the night.

First up, the S'mores, which consisted of graham crackers, Hershey chocolate bars, Smuckers peanut butter, Reese's peanut buttercups and giant marshmallows.

I had a lot of fun trying to burn the flame retardent marshmallows, and making a mess with my melting Smore crackers.
Next up, the fondue, which came in the form of a pot of melted cheese, and a plate of dipping food, including salami, bread, peppers, potatoes and more cheese.
Once again, more messes on my part, and me burning my pepperoni over the fire.
Overall, an extremely fun time with fun people.

When everything was finally done with, I headed back to my car in East Boston, then headed home for the day, happy that I visited so many places today.

No comments:

Post a Comment