Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 15th 2014: Hiking in Southeastern Massachusetts

My mom was coming to visit today, so before going to the airport to pick her up, I decided to head to the south of Boston to do some hiking. I started off in Walpole, trying to find the Pinnacle Trail that has eluded me the past few times I tried to find it. This time, I found it at ~34 Plimpton Street, finally. I took a walk to the pinnacle itself, only to realize although there was a steep drop to the Neponset River below, the view was totally covered by trees. The only view of the river I got was down by the shore itself later.

From here, I headed to the Borderland State Park in Sharon to find the water bodies I failed to check out the last time I was here. The path I took here from the end of Gorwin Drive on my first leg is shown below.
Only the largest water body in this area was worth viewing.

From here, I headed to Mountain Street for the next leg of my journey. The path I took in this section is shown below in pink.
It was nice to walk through the open fields,
seeing the wildlife around,

and the water bodies here.

After leaving the state park, I headed into the town of Easton for more sightseeing, heading for a hike at the Flyaway Pond Management Area, where the path I took from the end of Picker Lane is shown below in pink.

Only the pool was worth looking at, and it wasn't in good shape either.

I visited a few other places in Easton including the Queset Garden beside the Queset House,
the Sunken Rose Garden remains near the Town Hall,
and the Father Peyton Center at Stonehill College.

From here, I decided to head into Brockton for a fried seafood lunch at McMenamy's Seafood.

I got the Lobster Pie (lobster meat baked with homemade seafood stuffing) and the Boston Combo Platter with Smelts and Calamari.
The Lobster Pie was delicious, while the smelts annoyed me a little at times with their bones, but overall, not too bad a fried meal.

I visited a few more places in Brockton before finally heading to the airport to pick my mom up.
Arnone Elementary School
Brockton District Court
Brockton Public Schools
BAT
Temple Adventiste de Brockton
Greater Generations Tabernacle Church
It's a good thing I left when I did, as my mom arrived soon after, and did not have to wait long before I arrived to pick her up. From here, we went to dinner at The Temple Bar in Cambridge. I've always wanted to try this place out every time I pass by because of how nice the place looked, but never had a chance till now.
For appetizers, we got the Crispy Soy Roasted Lamb (sesame beet puree, daikon and carrot salad), 

and the Spring Pea Soup (Smoked Pistachios, Chili Oil, Aged Serrano Ham).
Not only was the lamb dish pretty small, it was pretty salty as well. The soup was pretty salty as well.

Our main dishes were not much better. ThPan Seared Sea Scallops (Horseradish Potato Puree, Spring Peas and Tendrils, Grilled Raddichio) were okay I guess,

while the Roasted Bass (Bacon Stewed Cranberry Beans, Confit Fennel, Poblano Pepper Relish) was a little dry, and the beans were hard.
Thankfully, the dessert, the Pineapple Upside Down Polenta Cake (Rum Caramel, Coconut Sorbet), was pretty tasty.

Overall, pretty overpriced for semi-decent food. Not coming back again. Glad my mom is here for the coming few days though.

No comments:

Post a Comment