Monday, May 14, 2018

May 14th 2018: North Before Work, South After Work

I started out this morning in Sterling, going for a short hike to Fitch Basin from 47 Heywood Road.
Pretty nice water body, and I am glad I did not go the long way around on the Gaylord Trail.

My next hike was at the Heywood Reservoir area, where the path I took is shown below in pink.
Really nice reservoir to say the least.
Once again, glad I took the shortcut, although I had to park illegally.

My next hike was in the town of Lunenburg at the Cowdrey Nature Center, where the rough path I took is shown below in pink.
Except for partial views of the river and wetlands from the Vista High Trail,
nothing much else to see here,
and I was disoriented the whole time I was here.

From here, it was on to Groton for a hike northward on the Nashua River Rail Trail to get to Groton School Pond from 74 Smith Street.

Yet another nice water body to view from a paved walkway.
My final hike of the day was at Beaver Brook in Hollis NH, where I took the Potanipo Rail Trail to find the Great Meadow.
The wetland here is just alright though.
With that, I headed to work, and after work, I opted to go south this time, heading to Douglas for a hike along the Southern New England Trunkline Trail southwestwards from 32 South Street to look for Morse Pond.
Not bad a hike for a nice pond.

From here, I headed to the Uxbridge section of the trail, looking for Lee Pond northwestwards from 119 Aldrich Street.

I had to head down the slope on a steep trail to get to it, but it was worth it I guess.
A pretty good day of hiking, I must say, after a long stretch of disappointments in the northeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment