Saturday, September 27, 2014

September 27th 2014: A Surprise Birthday Celebration at La Brasa, Somerville

After a day of doing food truck stuff in the Jamaica Plain area at the second annual Boston Fermentation Festival, held at the Egleston Farmer's Market, my friends and I headed to La Brasa in Somerville. We had a pretty good experience the last time we were here, so we wanted to try it again.

Unfortunately, my camera refused to work tonight, so please forgive the state of the pictures taken from my phone, which was also dying. This time, other than the Oysters on the Halfshell,
we also got the Roasted Carrots (mole and sesame), the Greens with Buttermilk poppyseed dressing and almonds,
the Pastrami Spiced Roast Pork Loin Sandwich (watercress, house pickles, challerhocker cheese and horseradish mayo),


the Fire Roasted Hanger Steak (celery root, espresso, charred ASF eggplant and bone marrow bread)

and the Harissa Grilled Skirt Steak (raita and grilled broccolini).


Excellent meal once again, although it took quite a while for the food to arrive, and the simplicity of the salad and the sandwich was a little disappointing.

We also got desserts, getting the Affogato (espresso and ice cream),

the Coconut Tapioca Pudding (Sichuan peppercorn and apricot salsa) and the Dulce de Leche Flan. At this point, my friend who said she wasn't going to come suddenly appeared in my sight and sat at the table, carrying a birthday present for me, even though it wasn't even the day itself. Even my pudding came with a candle. What a pleasant surprise.


With respect to the desserts, my phone was dead by now, so no pictures unfortunately. Except for the affogato which was way too bitter for me, the other desserts were delicious. Thank you my friends for surprising me this way, considering I was the one who made the booking.

No comments:

Post a Comment