Sunday, September 21, 2014

September 21st 2014: Sightseeing After Coming Back From Michigan

Coming back from a fun wedding in Michigan, I took a few pictures of Marblehead from the plane,
 as well as the Boston Harbor Islands.
The Graves Lighthouse
Deer Island
The day was still young, so I decided to spend the rest of the day sightseeing, starting off with a late lunch at Sully C's Bar and Grill in Saugus. The Raiders and Patriots game was just about to end, and thankfully we won because of a pretty wacky interception by the Patriots. For food, I went with the Fried Pickles (with ranch sauce)

and the House Favorite BBQ Combo (Sirloin Tips and Hot Sausage).
The pickles weren't too bad, while the steak tips were pretty tasty and tender. The sausage however, tasted a little too herby for my liking.

After lunch, I headed to Nahant to do some sightseeing there, even as the fog started to settle in. The first place I went to was the Fort Ruckman/Bailey's Hill area, where the path I took from the junction of Trimountain Road and Bass Point Road is shown below in black.
I first went up the Fort Ruckman area, where there were nice views at the top. The views from Bailey's Hill were a little harder to get to, but better when on the rocks.
After leaving the area, I could only visit a few other places in town
Bear Pond, End of Willow Road
Tudor Beach,
Willow Road and Valley Road
St. Thomas Aquinas Church

Stony Beach,
Marginal Road and Ocean Street
Nahant Public Library
Town Hall, 334 Nahant Road
Marjoram Park,
Willow Road and Wharf Street
Tudor Wharf, End of Tudor Wharf
Curlew Beach,
Furbush Road and Willow Road
Nahant Village Church
before it became way too misty to explore any further.
I decided to head to dinner instead, where I had reservations for a 5 course tasting meal at The Blue Room in Cambridge.

This place has pretty decent decor with outdoor seating as well, looking pretty upscale.
I had great hope for the food that was to come. The first course was a starter, Fried Chicken (buttermilk biscuit, coleslaw, jalapeno butter)

Although the chicken was really crispy, the other components did not give it much more flavor, and I was disappointed overall.


The next dish to come was a soup, the Celeriac and Chestnut Soup (apple, glazed chestnuts, radish, lemon yogurt).
Thankfully, the components of this dish came together pretty well, the sourness of the yogurt and apple blending with the sweetness of the chestnut soup.

Next up, a pasta dish, the Gnocchi (tomato brown butter, jamon iberico, fine herbs). 

The sauce was way too sour for my liking, and the cured ham way too salty.

The presentation of the Bluefish (salt cod brandade, Pat's Clams, Pickled Garlic scapes, Provencal vegetables)
gave me hope for something better, but this time everything on the plate was really salty.

As if it could not get worse, the Hanger Steak (roasted rutabaga, hakueri turnips, carrots, bayley hazen butter, Broccoli rabe veloute)
was way too tough to eat, and I was already too full to finish more than a few bites of it anyway. 

After packing it to go, my dessert course arrived in the form of Cornbread (black pepper ice cream, strawberry soup, fresh corn and basil).
At least the meal wasn't a total waste, as I enjoyed the dessert thoroughly. 

A Thin Mint also came with the check,
and thankfully I still had space for it.

Overall though, definitely not coming back again. Can't believe I spent $75 on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment