Sunday, September 14, 2014

September 14th 2014: Eating the Belt Buster Sundae in Boston

I started off this morning with a hike at the Braintree Town Forest, where the path I took from the junction of Peach Street and Kimball Road is shown below in black.
Cranberry Brook was pretty dried out though.

From here, it was back to the Blue Hills in Quincy, where the path I took is shown below in pink.
The water bodies were nothing to look at, but there was a vantage point along the Hawk Hill Path which had pretty good views.

After finally making my way back to my car, I headed into Boston,
Standish Village
where I was to do food truck stuff for the day. I was early, so I decided to head nearby to Giorgiana's, a deli market at 532 Tremont Street in the South End area for a quick sandwich, getting the Obama (turkey, pepperjack, mozzarella, bacon, basil, mayo and dijon mustard on grilled multigrain with lettuce and tomato).
Not too bad, but nothing extraordinary.

After a day of doing food truck stuff, I had a meetup dinner to go to at Steel and Rye, a pretty modern upscale place in Milton.
For food, I decided to get the Colorado Lamb Meatballs (Harissa, Hen Egg, Greek Yogurt, Pine Nuts) for appetizers,

and the Cape Cod Flounder (Creamed Corn, Snap Peas, Shiitakes, Thai Basil, Toasted Cashews) for my meal.

The meatballs were pretty good, mainly because of the harissa spices, the egg completing the dish, while the fish was not bad too, although the peas were a little hard to eat and the dish tasted a little weird at times because of the strong basil flavor.

I also got to try my friend's Double-Cut Pork Chop (Cabbage, Jicama, Pecans, Soy, Cilantro),
Surprisingly, the pork wasn't dry at all, which is usually the case for pork chops. Good stuff.

Only 2 of us decided to get dessert, getting the Plum Upside-Down Cake (Hyssop Ice Cream, Orange Crème Fraiche, Streusel)
and the “Snickers” in a Bowl (Peanut Semifreddo, Nougat, Dulce de Leche & Praline). 
The plum cake was a little sour for me, although the snickers came out pretty good, though intense at times.

There was more to come after the meal though. We headed next to the Ice Creamsmith, where a few of us were to attempt to finish the Belt Buster Sundae, consisting of 12 scoops of ice cream, 10 mixin’s, 6 sauces, a banana, marshmallow, whipped cream, jimmies, nuts & cherries.
As there wasn't enough space for everyone involved, we headed out and went to Dorchester Park nearby to eat it. I did not think that we would be able to finish it off, especially because of how disgusting it looked halfway through and the weird curry flavor from the Indian Pudding ice cream,
but we cleared it all in the end with a weird sense of achievement.
With the feat accomplished, there was nothing else to do but to head home for the weekend. Don't think I'll ever do this sort of thing again, but who knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment