Saturday, September 13, 2014

September 13th 2014: Starting Out Late in Boston and Heading South

I had some work to do this morning, so it was already lunch time when I reached Boston to have lunch at Cityside Bar. This bar restaurant has 2 floors with external deck seating, which is where I decided to go.
The views from here of Cleveland Circle were okay I guess.
For food, I decided to get the Chicken and Pear Panini (chicken, pear, swiss, herb mayo).
The chicken was totally dry, and the pear was hard as well, not even adding any taste to the panini. Absolutely horrid.

From here, I headed to Braintree, passing by Quincy,
2000 Crown Colony Drive

to check out the Braintree Historical Society, which is rarely open when I want to visit. Pictures of the exhibits here in this small museum follow.



As I was about to leave, the curator came in and asked me for some assistance in deciphering some Chinese words that were written in chalk on cave walls in France by Chinese coolies a long time ago. I was actually able to read some of it, although some of it was too worn out to read any more. Glad I was able to be of help though.

From here, it was on to my second lunch as the first was totally unfulfilling, this time at Mollie Maguire's Pub in Weymouth.

With my deal, I got several things, namely the French Onion Soup,
 the Stuffed Mushrooms (smoked kielbasa and mozzarella)
and the Philly Cheese Steek Stuffed Pretzel (Philly Steak and cheese served in a warm pretzel).
The soup and mushrooms weren't too bad, but the highlight of the meal was the pretzel itself, which was pretty massive. The steak itself wasn't really flavorful, although the cheese sauce on the side did help a little. Interesting concept though.

After the meal, in which I could hardly finish anything but the soup, I did a little bit of sightseeing in town
First Baptist Church
Harvest Ministries
Weymouth Police Department
Newell Playground

before heading into Quincy for a short hike in the Blue Hills. The path I took here is shown below.
There was nothing much to see in this part of the reservation though, all the water bodies being dried up/

From here, it was back to Braintree,
Eaton's Pond, End of Skyline Drive
where I did a short hike around 20 Acre Pond at Pond Meadow Park. The path I took here is shown below in pink.
There were several nice views of the pond, especially from the docks.
I headed into Brockton from here, passing by Abington
Lively Stones Christian Center
along the way as it rained.
Mary E Baker School
Immanuel Baptist Church
Sisters of Jesus Crucified
After the sun set, I decided to head to Jeano's Restaurant, a decent Haitian restaurant in a crappy part of town.
For food, I decided to get the Ragout (cow feet),

a Haitian beef stew that was really tasty, even though there wasn't much meat on the bones. Pretty good dinner I should say, for a not so productive day of sightseeing.

From here, I headed to the Showcase Cinemas De Lux in Randolph to watch "The Drop", the last film that the late James Gandolfini of "Sopranos" fame acted in.  Okay film I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment