Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10th 2012: Dinner at Fugakyu, Brookline

Today after work, I had yet another meetup event to go to, this time at Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine in Brookline. Like the past few days, I headed into Brookline first to do some sightseeing. However, due to the Celtics-Hawks playoff game and the Red Sox game playing on the same night in Boston, the highways were all jammed up, and I spent much of my sightseeing time in traffic. When I finally escaped the nightmare, I headed to the corner of Amory Street and Thatcher Street to Knyvet Square, a little park with paths leading from the corners to the center.


At Knyvet Park

As I had managed to find parking here, I decided to walk the rest of the way to the restaurant. Along the way, I passed by Winthrop Square on the corner of St. Paul Street and Browne Street, which has the Minot Rose Garden. Unfortunately, the roses were not in flower this time of year.








Continuing my journey to Beacon Street, I turned right onto it, where the MBTA Green Line travels along.

Downtown Brookline, Beacon Street
Along the way to the restaurant, I passed by a few places, including Temple Sinai and the Coolidge Corner area.
Temple Sinai
Coolidge Corner Building,
Harvard Street and Beacon Street


Coolidge Corner T-Station
S.S. Pierce Building, 1330 Beacon Street



Bank of America
Harvard Street and Beacon Street
Finally, it was time to head to the restaurant. This place is really high-class, with 2 stories and private rooms at the top. It was in one of these private rooms where I found the people I was to meet, before which I had to remove my shoes in order to enter.










As always, we tried the exotic stuff. 6 of us decided to share 2 lobster sashimi dishes, not knowing what to expect. 2 dismembered lobsters arrived nicely arranged, so fresh that the front legs were still moving!! From this we expected a lot of sashimi meat, but there was only a small portion. But it was good!! Pictures follow.

Lobster Sashimi










With respect to the main courses, my friend got the Chiraishi, which came really nicely decorated, while I got 2 Maki rolls, namely the Hoho Tuna Maki, with shrimp tempura & avocado on the inside and spicy tuna, tempura crumb, hoho pepper, tobiko & eel sauce on the outside, and the Dice K Maki, which has mushroom, asparagus, avocado,lettuce & tobiko on the inside and whole lobster tail, black tobiko, sesame & wasabi mayo on the outside. Both were good, but the Dice K Maki was definitely much more exquisite in taste. At this point, the rest of the lobster that we had seen earlier arrived in miso soup. The meat was really fresh, and I must say it was the best lobster I had to date.

Chiraishi
Hoho Tuna Maki








Dice K Maki

Lobster Miso Soup











I'm definitely coming back here again some day, even though I spent a lot of money today.

No comments:

Post a Comment