Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20th 2012: Whale Watching in Boston

Today, still having no voice, I had to go to Boston to do whale watching with a friend, as the tickets once bought are non-refundable. After picking my friend up, we headed to the New England Aquarium area, where I managed to find a free parking spot alongside the road near the Traffic Tunnel Administration Building on North Street.

Traffic Tunnel Administration Building,
152 North Street
After getting our tickets at the booth, we boarded the ship, and soon set off on our journey.
About to set off
The harbor area


The ride started off easy going at first, with me taking several pictures of the Boston harbor area we were leaving behind.


Boston Harbor area







Hyatt Harborside
Waste Water Digesters at
Deer Island Waste Water Treatment Plant


Boston Light, Little Brewster Island
Finally in open ocean, the seas started getting choppy, and the boat started rocking more frequently. I was amazed that I did not get seasick all throughout the trip. The wind blowing while the ship was moving was really chilling though, and I regretted not bringing my jacket along. When we finally stopped, we waited for quite awhile, and I was thinking we were not going to see anything after all, when the humpback whales finally appeared. Pictures of the serene ocean follow.

Once the sightings started, there was no stopping. It was hard to take pictures though, because the whales would only be above the ocean surface for seconds at a time. I was able to capture a few though, although none of the tail, of the fin slaps, or even full body breaches, which occurred only when our boat was finally speeding back. Pictures of the whales follow.





















On the way back, after napping for a bit, I resumed taking pictures of the islands again.









Nixes Mate

Fort Independence















Boston Fish Pier
Seaport Hotel and World Trade Center


Two International Place (Center)

Rowe's Wharf
John Joseph Moakley Courthouse













Finally back on land, we headed to Pasta Beach at Rowe's Wharf. This is a really fancy restaurant on the inside, but as the weather was so beautiful outside, we decided to sit outside. While waiting for our food to arrive, I took a few pictures of the surrounding buildings.

75 State Street Building (left)
Flour and Grain Exchange Building (middle)
and Custom House (right)

Two International Place

We ordered the octopus carpaccio, and I got the Tagliatelle with duck and vegetable ragout, both of which were really good.
Octopus Carpaccio
Tagliatelle with duck and vegetable ragout


With that, I was coughing profusely once again, so we had to call it a day. I have to say that whale watching for the first time was an extremely enriching experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment