Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 15th 2012: Dinner at Lolita Cocina and Tequila Bar, Boston

Tonight after work, I had a meetup event in Boston at the Lolita Cocina and Tequila Bar, so I decided to do some sightseeing in Brookline before going. Along the way I passed by the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, where there were beautiful views, especially of Boston College nearby.


Boston College in the distance
On this side of the reservoir, I was also able to take better pictures of the Waterworks Museum and the Waterworks apartments.

The Waterworks Apartments
The Waterworks Museum












Due to the amount of time I spent at the reservoir, I only had time to see 2 other places in Brookline before having to head into Boston for the event.
All Saints Parish
Chinese Christian Church of New England











Parking is so hard to find in Back Bay, where most spots require a resident permit, but thankfully I managed to find one in a Pay-Meter area really close to the restaurant. When I arrived at the address of 271 Dartmouth Street, I was momentarily surprised that it was a residential apartment complex. Thankfully, I noticed off to the side that there was a doorway with the sign "Lolita" over it, and proceeded down into an extremely dark yet suitably lit for a high class bar restaurant, which I was totally not expecting for a Mexican place, forgive my bias.

The host of the event was there already, but as there were only 3 of us at that point, we decided to wait awhile for others to show up, but in the end only 2 other people showed up. 30 minutes later and hungry, we finally decided not to wait any longer, attributing the poor attendance to the bad weather, and set to ordering our food. While everyone else ordered tacos, I decided to get the one unique thing on the menu, the Pato Prohibido, consisting of seared duck breast, polenta style tamale, slow greens and pomegranate chilli sauce, which isn't really Mexican I guess, and a side of corn bisque, containing scallions, cilantro oil, corn nuts and Mexican crema. I didn't even know that corn nuts exist until today. Before the dishes came though, first came a complimentary dry ice smoking container with grapefruit sorbet in it, complete with a splash of alcohol over it.
Grapefruit Sorbet
Pato Prohibido (left) and corn bisque (right)

The sorbet was pretty interesting, while my duck breast was perfect, although the spinach was a little sour, but otherwise the corn bisque was excellent as well, with the crispy corn nuts performing their role fantastically. When we thought we were all done, we were to be surprised one more time with a complimentary cup, covered in wispy green apple flavored cotton candy. It was cool to be able to enjoy cotton candy after not being to any sort of fair for so long.
I have to say that even though I was sick today and had almost considered not coming tonight, I was glad that I went against my instincts. I definitely recommend coming back here in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment