Saturday, May 12, 2012

May 12th 2012: Biking at Adams Farm, Walpole

Today, I was invited to a mountaining biking event at Adams Farm in Walpole in the afternoon. As a result, I decided to head to the area to do a little sightseeing before meeting everyone else. My first destination was the town of Norwood. On the way there, I passed by Willett Pond and Pettee Pond on Brook Street in Walpole.
Willett Pond
Pettee Pond


 Heading into Norwood, the first place I visited was St. Timothy's Church. There are beautiful views of Willett Pond from here as well.
St. Timothy's Church
Willett Pond

 The next place I visited was Ellis Pond, located at the junction of Endicott Street and Walpole Street. The path I took after parking along Endicott Street is shown in pink below.

While here, I happened to spot a Canadian Goose family, complete with little goslings. A clear sign that spring is here.

Ellis Pond Dam
Ellis Pond

Canadian Goose Family




From here, I visited a few other places in Norwood before heading to my next town, Sharon.
Grace Episcopal Church
Guild Pond, ~550 Nichols Street

Emmanuel Lutheran Church
First Congregational Church







Norwood High School
Morrill Memorial Library

First Baptist Church



Norwood Historical Society
Norwood Masonic Building


Memorial, Town Common
Norwood Town Common,
Cottage Street East and Central Street
United Church of Norwood
Norwood Town Hall

Colonel GeorgeT Lee Bridge,
Nahatan Street near Broadway
Millpond at William Pezwick Park


St. Catherine of Siena Church
First Church of Christ, Scientist


Norwood Town Clock,
Nahanton Street and Broadway
War Memorial, Aaron Guild Park,
Central Street and Guild Street

Norwood Post Office
The Exploration Center



Old Northrop Grumman Building 
St. George Orthodox Church

The last place I visited today in Norwood was the Hawes Brook Walkway, located beside the Coakley Middle School.

There is a small pond here, and an old stone bridge, making the area pretty serene, complete with mini-waterfalls. Pictures I took here follow.



Finally done with Norwood, I still had some time before biking, so I decided to head into Sharon to start my sightseeing there. The first place I went to was Moose Hill Farm. The path I took here is highlighted below in pink.

From the parking area, I headed north on the Old Summit Road Trail, turning right at the power lines to head to the Woodland Trail. The views of the power lines from here were pretty good.



Heading along the Woodland Trail, I walked back to the Old Summit Road Trail, turning right and heading onto the Old Farm Trail. This trail heads back to the power lines, where the views here were actually better than they were earlier.
From here, I continued further, coming onto open fields with nice views of the mountains in the distance.

I was hungry, so I decided at this point to use one of my Livingsocial deals at Pizzeria Grande in Walpole for lunch before the Adams Farm. This place is like any other regular pizzeria, so nothing to write home about. I decided to get the Boneless Red Wings and the White Hawaiian Pizza to make up my $20.

White Hawaiian Pizza
Boneless Red Wings


The pizza was actually pretty good, while the wings were a little spicy for me. With that I headed to Adams Farm, located on North Street near Filetto Way.

While waiting for the others to come, I assembled my bike and tried out biking on the gravel road for a bit. It was actually pretty hard to control my bike on the pebbly surface, but soon I got the hang of it. When we were finally ready to set off, we found that I was the only one with a compass, and a map as well. As a result, I had to lead the entire group through the maze of trails. The rough path we took here is highlighted below in pink.
Even with a map and a compass, we somehow still managed to get lost. We managed to find our way to the end of Frontier Drive, but we got lost again soon after trying to head toward the power lines. Thankfully, we were able to find the power lines, but after crossing over, we got disoriented yet again. The views from the power line were pretty good though.

When we finally reemerged back onto the power lines, we soon decided that it was time to head back. We crossed back over the power lines heading across a large open field of sorts, before finally finding our way back to our cars.

We decided to head out for dessert next close by, at the Bubbling Brook Restaurant in Westwood, where there were already scores of people lining up for ice cream. When it finally came my turn to order, I got a soft serve with a mix of bubble gum (pink) and cotton candy (blue). The ice cream was really creamy and tasty, to say the least.

With that, our biking adventure was done for the day. It was back to more sightseeing for me in Sharon, and this time I headed to the Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary. The path I took here is highlighted below in pink.

From the parking area, I first headed to the top of Moose Hill via the Summit Trail in the hope that I would be able to get good views from the top of the fire tower, but when I got there, the tower was totally fenced off, and there were no views to be had from the hill with all the trees around.

From here, I accidentally took myself down the wrong path, heading north and into the Moose Hill Farm area. Backtracking, I soon found the  right path, and continued on my way along the Summit Trail to head toward the Bluff Head area. This I did by turning right onto the Pasture Trail, then turning right onto the Turkey Trail, then turning right onto the Bluff Trail.

From here, I soon came onto the first bluff area. I was slightly disappointed because all the new branches from the trees actually obscured the good view from here.


Thankfully, this wasn't the only Bluff Head area with views. There were actually 2 other areas ahead with better views, especially of Gillette Stadium.

Gillette Stadium

From here, I continued along the Bluff Trail to head to the old cistern, a big circular well.
I then proceeded to the Billings Loop, across the road to the Pine Trail, which I used to get back to my car. The next place I went to was the Pierce Hill area on the Warner Trail. After finally managing to find a spot to park along the side of Walpole Street.
Unfortunately, there was no good views from the top of Pierce Hill, and I had to head back the way I came back to my car.

From here, I headed to Lake Massapoag, where there were nice views all along Massapoag Avenue, and especially at Memorial Park Beach at the corner of Massapoag Avenue and East Street.





Memorial Park Beach

I visited several other places in Sharon before finally heading for dinner in Norfolk.
Heights Elementary School
Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church





Temple Israel


Unitarian Church of Sharon
First Baptist Church








First Congregational Church
Statue in front of Sharon Public Library







War Memorials
in front of Town Hall


Dinner in Norfolk was at Guido's Italian Restaurant. I had a Livingsocial deal here for $30, so I thought it would be easy to order that value in food, but it turned out to be quite the task, actually. I got a bowl of clam chowder, followed by 3 stuffed Quahogs, and made up the difference with the Mixed Grill dish, consisting of marinated steak tips, grilled sweet Italian sausage and BBQ chicken, which also came with a side caesar salad and a large pile of mashed potatoes.
Clam Chowder
Stuffed Quahogs


Mixed Grill
Caesar Salad
Mashed Potatoes

Overall, this place is a nice restaurant, and I liked the Mixed Grill, especially the steak tips and the sausage, although I could hardly finish it by the time I got to it.

With that, an exciting day of sightseeing ended.










































No comments:

Post a Comment