Wednesday, May 9, 2012

May 9th 2012: Dinner at Baraka Cafe, Cambridge

Today after work, I had another meetup dinner to go to like yesterday, this time at Baraka Cafe in Cambridge. Once again, I decided to do some sightseeing in Brookline before the event, first stopping at the Brookline Reservoir Park on Lee Street and Bolyston Street along the way. This reservoir is man-made, and has a running track going all around it, so I decided to do a run myself around the reservoir to take some pictures.








Prudential Center from the reservoir
Other places I visited in Brookline before heading toward Cambridge follow.
Lawrence School
Wheelock College Brookline Campus,
43 Hawes Street


Longwood Mall

Brookline Arts Center
Temple Ohabei Shalom



On the way to Cambridge, I passed by the Ruggles Baptist Church in Boston.
Finally at the Baraka Cafe, I somehow managed to find a spot just inside of the signs denoting the parking area. By this time, it was raining slightly, so I was glad when we were finally able to go in after waiting for a while for people to come.

Inside, the waiters were still cleaning up our tables, so while waiting, I first took a bottle of cherbet from a nearby basket to drink. This drink is an Algerian form of lemonade, mixed with rose petals and North African Spice. It was pretty good, with a unique flowery taste.
The decor inside the restaurant was pretty interesting as well, especially the salt and pepper shakers, which were not shakers but more covered plates with interesting covers.

Before the appetizers we ordered came, my new friends ordered a pot of sweetened green mint tea with roasted nuts. A little apprehensive at first, I was glad that I decided to taste it, because it wasn't too minty, but of just the right flavor.
The appetizers came soon after, namely the Bedenjal Mechoui, an Algerian smokey eggplant dish with roasted peppers, garlic, flat parsley, olive oil and house vinegar topped with labna, the M'Chermlat El Sanaria, consisting of spicy carrots in m'chermla sauce, oregano, raisins and onion jam, and the Jbinet with Berber Karmous, consisting of Mediterranean cheeses with marinated Beber compote, which I failed to take a picture of, unfortunately.
Bedenjal Mechoui
M'Chermlat El Sanaria










The main dishes came next, with some of my friends ordering the Classical Couscous, coming in whole spice bouillon with assorted vegetables, lentils, chickpeas and fava. The bowl looked so interesting that I had to take a pictures of it.

With respect to my food, I decided to get the M'Katef, which was basically baby lamb chops marinated in ras-el-hanout served with ehbah essoufra, an Arabian almond tartlet layered in sweet saffron shallots, mint sauce, leeks and spinach t'biykha.
The lamb was pretty different in terms of taste, being pretty natural, but still good.

If you thought that was the end of it, think again. After dinner, we walked a little out to Main Street, where we went to have some ice-cream at Toscanini's, one of the best ice-cream places in all of the Boston area. the small area was crowded as expected, and after ordering my microscoop of Just Fluff ice cream made from marshmallows, we were forced to go outside in the rain to eat. In the warm weather, my ice cream was dripping all around in no time, and I was making a mess of it half the time.
With that, another enjoyable night of eating in the Boston area came to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment