Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19th 2012: Biking the Minuteman Trail

Today, I was hosting a biking event on the Minuteman Bikeway Trail, but that would only be the afternoon, so I still had to whole morning to myself, so I decided to head to Winchester to start my sightseeing there. The first  place I headed to was the Shannon Memorial Beach, located on the shores of the Upper Mystic Lake on Mystic Valley Parkway. The views of the lake from here are simply beautiful.
I wanted to proceed to my next place, the Winchester Unitarian Church, but right as I neared it, I realized that there was a parade going on for the En Ka Fair, and my way was thoroughly blocked.

I decided to park in the parking lot of McCall Middle School, and walk around to take pictures instead.
Lincoln School
Winchester Unitarian Church
McCall Middle School


Memorial,
Main Street and Mystic Valley Parkway
Swan and her younglings on the Mystic River



Finally, the parade was over, but it was time to head to Concord to get a tour of the Louisa May Alcott Orchard House. Along the way, I passed by a few other places in Winchester.

Town Common,
Church Street and Waterfield Road
First Congregational Church
Crawford Memorial United Methodist Church

Parish of the Epiphany
I also passed by St. Barbara's Church in Woburn.
Finally at the Alcott House, it is pretty non-descript, and unfortunately we could not take pictures inside the house. The tour was okay I guess, good if you are fascinated with the book "Little Women", which Louisa May Alcott wrote with her very own family as a basis.
I was getting pretty hungry by now, so I decided to head into Billerica for lunch. My colleague recently recommended going to the Pongal Restaurant for Indian food, so I decided to go check it out.

It was lunch time, so naturally it was the buffet I went for. The restaurant is quite spacious and well decorated, while the food was pretty good itself, although I could only take a picture of the various breads.

The last place I had to visit in Billerica was the Middlesex Canal Museum, which showcases the history of the old Middlesex Canal, sections of which still exist in Woburn and a few other towns. The museum is situated in the Faulkner Mill, situated on the shores of the Concord River Mill Pond, where there is a small beautiful waterfall here.
Millpond
Concord River Millpond Dam





The Faulkner Mill
Old Mill Building nearby










The museum itself is pretty small, with a few artworks of the canal and presentations about its history and design.


From here, it was finally time to head to Bikeway Source, a bicycle rental place at the head of the Minuteman Bikeway Trail for the biking event. In all, over 20 people showed up, and we had a fun time biking along the trail, heading first to the  Lexington town center where we stopped for an ice cream break at Rancatore's Ice Cream and Yogurt and Fruitee Yogurt. When we were done finishing our desserts, we continued our journey to Spy Pond in Arlington before turning around to head back as the people who rented bikes had to return them. Some pictures I took along the way follow.

I-95 from the bikeway, Lexington
Memorial, Arlington
Mystic Street and Massachusetts Avenue

When everyone was finally back, we headed to Asiana Bistro nearby for our dinner. I decided to get the Pineapple Fried Rice and the Beef Malaysian Curry this time, but by the time it arrived, I was feeling a little sick, so I could hardly eat any of the food.
Pineapple Fried Rice
Beef Malaysian Curry

Overall, I enjoyed my day cycling, and was glad that everyone else who came did too. Looking forward to whale watching tomorrow, though.




















No comments:

Post a Comment