Saturday, July 14, 2012

July 14th 2012: Blueberries, Sand Sculptures and Soup Dumplings

Today, I had a full day of Meetup events. The first event was blueberry picking at Ward's Berry Farm in the town of Sharon. Before that, I had time to do some sightseeing in Mansfield, so these are the places I visited in the meantime, including Fulton Pond on Fulton Street and Rumford Avenue.
Post Office, 12 Giles Place
St. Mary's Church


United Methodist Church
St. John the Evangelist Church



Al-Noor Academy
Congregational Church of Mansfield





Fulton Pond








Mansfield South Common,
South Main Street and West Street


School Department
Mansfield Bank


First Baptist Church

Finally, it was time to head into Sharon. After waiting awhile at the farm, everyone arrived, and we had to buy suitably sized baskets to pick berries with.

I wanted to get berries for my friends, so I decided to get a medium sized basket, complete with a handle. Even though most of the berries were at shoulder level, easy for picking, most of them were still unripe, hence it took really long to fill up my big basket, with me needing help from my friends to fill my basket as I had to go to my next event. Pictures I took here follow.

Blueberries on bushes
The fields
Line of Blueberry Bushes

A big blueberry
My basket of Blueberries


My next event was the Revere Beach Sandsculpting Festival 2012, located in the vicinity of the bandstand on Revere Beach at Revere Beach Boulevard between Beach Street and Shirley Avenue.
The bandstand








As I had some time before the event, I decided to walk along the beach from one end to the other, taking pictures along the way. They follow.

St. George Apartments, 350 Revere Beach Boulevard

Revere Healthcare Center
Revere State Police, 220 Revere Beach Boulevard

Beach Views










After reaching the very end of the beach, I started walking on the beach itself back to the bandstand. Pictures follow.











Finally, I returned to the sand sculpture area, and I took pictures of all the sculptures there, of which I felt there were too few for a festival like this.
Just Skin and Bones
Gore Hound




Illusion
Everyone has a Dark Side front

The Earth Cries
Everyone has a Dark Side back



Heads, I Win
Nautical Queen


Your Time to Fly
Bee or Not to be


Festival Logo
Leto II Dune


Artists at work
Learning Center Area


My favorite one was the "Everyone has a Dark Side" sculpture, partly for the contrast between the front and the back of it, and also how well the statement rang true with me.

After inspecting the statues, I still had some time before people were to come, so I decided to head to the nearby Twist & Shake for some refreshment. The small ice cream place was crowded as would be expected today,  and I got the Mango Italian Ice, which was pretty good.

The meetup event itself was a mess. We were supposed to meet beside the bandstand, but it was hard to find people in the crowd, and my phone chose not to work, so I could not inform others about how I looked like. Thankfully, I managed to find a few people in the end, but as there was nothing much to see or do, and many people were late as well, we decided to call it a day after 2 hours.

With that, I headed back to my car, and decided to do some sightseeing in Revere itself. One interesting place was Gibson Park at the end of Hayes Avenue, where there are nice views of the Pines River.
Immaculate Conception Church
Rumney Marsh Academy


St. Anthony Church




First Baptist Church, 209 Beach Street
Central Fire Station, 400 Broadway


Revere Public Library
City Hall, 281 Broadway


Town Common,  ~281 Broadway


Post Office, 300 Broadway
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,
455 Washington Avenue



First Congregational Church

Pines River from Gibson Park




Finally done with Revere, it was time to head to my last event for the day at JoJo Taipei in Boston. I was a little late as I was caught in a traffic jam in Revere, but somehow I still managed to find a parking spot, which is rare in this part of town where there are so many good restaurants, including JoJo Taipei.

Having been here before, I recommended a few dishes to try, including the Fried Pig Intestine, Pig Ears, and Fried Oysters, while other dishes included soup dumplings, Szechuan Style Fish Filet and Taro Chicken, all of which were very good, although the chicken dish was not at all what we expected, as we thought it would be a dry taro stuffed chicken, but it actually was more of a soupy dish.

After an enjoyable dinner, it was time for some frozen yogurt at Mixx Yogurt just down the street from the restaurant. I had been here before in the past, so I decided not to get anything choosing to stay outside to chit chat instead. We ended up staying till past midnight, and my car was actually hemmed in in its parking spot, so I actually had to ask a friend to help me drive it out. With that, a fun day full of events came to an end.





No comments:

Post a Comment