Friday, July 6, 2012

July 6th 2012: Exploring the Side Trails of the Blue Hills


Today after work, I decided to do more exploration in the Blue Hills area in preparation for my hike there this weekend. The first place I went to was the Hillside Pond in Milton on Hillside Street near Chickatawbut Road, which was a pretty small water body. I had initially wanted to walk around it, but decided not to after actually seeing it.

Next, I decided to head to the Chickatawbut Overlook on Chickatawbut Road near Randolph Avenue in Quincy. At the parking lot, there is already a fantastic view of the Boston skyline from here.
From here the path I took is highlighted below in pink.
Heading up the stairs, I passed by the Chickatawbut Observation Tower, which was not accessible unfortunately.
Walking onto the yellow dotted trail behind the tower, I tried to find my way to the Norman Smith Education Center indicated on the map as the road there was closed to cars, only to realize that it was surrounded by a fence with a "No Trespassing" sign on it. Even though I saw a viewing platform there, I could not get to it. I was about to give up when I realized upon closer inspection that the gate was actually unlocked. I decided to walk in, and seeing nobody coming out to chase me away, I proceeded to the nearby platform, where the views of the surroundings were simply mind-blowing.





The viewing platform


My plan was to exit out the other side of the Education Center and head back down the road to my car, but the gate was actually closed. Thankfully, the ground was sloping while the gate was level, so at the very corner, my head was small enough to go under the gate, so I decided to risk all and slide out under the gate, seeing that there was no other way out quickly. In the end, I was actually successful, although I did scratch my camera a little, and tore my shirt as well, and even was stuck at one point until I maneuvered my body correctly to get out.

Finally back at the car, I actually spotted a trio of deer grazing in the field below the Chickatawbut Overlook, and took some pictures of them.



The last place I visited for the day in the Blue Hills Reservation was the Blue Hill Reservoir on Chickatawbut Road near Wampattuck Road in Quincy. I took a quick stroll around it here, taking pictures of the people fishing here as well.








Finally done with the Blue Hills for the day, I headed into Milton to do some sightseeing before dinner at Ichiro Sushi in town.
Milton Public Library
Church of Saint Elizabeth




First Congregational Church
First Parish Unitarian Universalist



Lira Bandstand, Town Common,
Canton Avenue between Highland Street and Reedsdale Road









St. Mary of the Hills Church
Mattapan Baptist Church


St. Agatha Church
Church of Our Saviour
Milton Post Office, 499 Adams Street
Finally it was too dark to take pictures, so I headed to dinner, which was really nearby. I was expecting Ichiro Sushi to be a decently sized Japanese restaurant, but it turned out to be more simply a sushi bar with a few tables along the wall.

After looking at the menu, I decided to get the Oyster Appetizer, which were deep fried and topped with sweet mustard sauce. It was quite good actually. I also got the Four Seasons Maki, which was aesthetic looking with seaweed salad in the center, and equally tasty, and finally the Volcano Maki, which was delicious as well.
Oysters
Four Seasons Maki


Volcano Maki
With that, I was done with sightseeing the side trails of the Blue Hills for the day.










No comments:

Post a Comment