Friday, July 27, 2012

July 27th 2012: Dinner at Gumbo, Worcester

I have a long bike ride to do this weekend, so I decided to convert my mountain bike into a road bike by buying tires. Not knowing how much it would cost and if my bike could even be converted, I decided to check out Bicycle Alley in Worcester during lunchtime. The guy who helped me was really helpful, recommending me the best tires to get, which had absolutely no treads at all! He even gave me a free tire spring which I had lost the day I biked the East Bay Bike Path in Rhode Island. He also showed me how to remove the back wheel, and how to change the tires. At the end, my mountain bike was successfully converted into a road bike, for the price of $50, which would have been the price at which I would have needed to pay to rent a bike in Dennis at Barbara's Bike Shop.
My Road Bike
After work, I decided to have dinner at Gumbo in Worcester. Parking was a little hard to find along Water Street, so I decided to park along Green Street instead opposite the historic Crompton Place building.

Crompton Place
Having a $40 Livingsocial coupon to use at the restaurant, I got down and busy with ordering after being showed into the small but cozy dining area, first getting the gumbo of the day with smoked turkey and Andouille sausage, which was actually so good I finished it in a few minutes.
Smoked Turkey and Andouille Gumbo
I got 2 additional appetizers on top of my soup, namely the Oysters Rockerfeller, consisting of freshly shucked oysters topped with a classic creamed spinach, parmesan and penod stuffing, then oven baked, and the Natchitoches Meat Pies, made of ground beef and pork with creole seasoning wrapped in pastry, deep fried  and served with jalapeno aioli. Both were really good, but I could only get through half the pies before becoming really full.
Oysters Rockefeller
Natchitoches Meat Pies










As a result, I could hardly finish the House Jambalaya I ordered, which had chicken breast, andouille sausage and shrimp.
Unfortunately, I still had some money left on the deal, so I had no choice but to order the Banana Foster dessert, which was really good, but I could not even finish half of it.

This is one of the few times I have tried Creole food, so I'm glad they have it here in Worcester. Definitely a must try.

No comments:

Post a Comment