Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 8th 2012: Free Landmarks Orchestra Concert at the Esplanade, Boston

Today during work, I saw a Groupon for a few visits to the new Blush Yogurt Cafe in Worcester. Deciding that it might be more worth it to just pay the place one visit, I did it during lunch.

The design of the place, which is pretty big, is pretty much the same buffet concept as Mixx Frozen Yogurt in Allston. The number of flavors is very limited though, although apparently they are rotated on a weekly basis. This time round, the flavors were chocolate, vanilla, pistachio, black forest, chocolate coconut and original and tart.

Getting a bit of each, it ended up being just 3 bucks. I sat down to try each flavor, and to be honest, I actually only liked the original flavor. Most of the other flavors just tasted a little weird or bland. If anything, I think Berry Fusion in town was better.

After work, my friend and I decided to check out a free concert performed by the Boston Landmarks Orchestra at the Esplanade in Boston.

As we were getting there from work, we decided to grab dinner from The Upper Crust, a pizza place in Brookline. For the $25 Livingsocial deal I had, we got a small Hawaiian Pizza, a beef lasagna, and a cup of soda.

We headed to Boston, where I managed to find parking near the Harvard Bridge, only to realize it was pretty far away from the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade, where the concert was being performed. The views of the city eastward were pretty good though while the views of the setting sun westward were awesome as well.











Along the way, I took several pictures of the Charles River. The Esplanade also splits into two, with a mini-waterway going in between the 2 halves. Gondola rides can be done in this water way as well. I was able to get good pictures of the "Salt and Pepper" Bridge, the Longfellow Bridge, from here.

Charles River






The Waterway 


The Salt and Pepper Bridge
When we finally got to the Hatch Shell, the concert was already in full swing, but thankfully we were still able to find a space with a reasonably good view of the concert area. After laying out the tarp I brought with me, we were finally able to look at what we had to eat for dinner.
Hawaiian Pizza
Beef Lasagna










My friend had forgotten to get utensils for the lasagna, so I decided to go buy a Baby Chocolate-vanilla twist Cone from the Snowy Joey's Food Truck which happened to be on the scene, and got some spoons from the vendor, who actually gave me a 1 dollar discount, as I had only 2 $1 notes, which he needed badly in anticipation of future crowds during the intermission with only $20 notes needing change.












After having a slice of pizza or two, I decided to walk around the place to take pictures of the concert and the monuments around the area. I have to say that the area around the Hatch Shell is really beautiful, especially in the light of the setting sun.


The operatic concert
The crowd in front of the Arthur Fiedler Footbridge
The concert from the Arthur Fiedler Footbridge
On the Arthur Fiedler Footbridge



Arthur Fiedler Memorial
Mauric J Tobin Statue
George S. Patton


Charles Devens
David Ignatius Walsh







The Hatch Shell






Beautiful views in the setting sun





The concert was pretty good, especially for a free one, and at 9pm it ended. There will be more concerts like this every Wednesday for the next few weeks, so I highly recommend coming out here to enjoy one of these concerts, especially because of the beautiful views here.









No comments:

Post a Comment