Sunday, August 5, 2012

August 5th 2012: Sightseeing in Revere before the Maine Lobster Festival

Today, I had initially planned to do a sea kayaking lesson, but it was cancelled at the last minute. My backup plan was to go into the town of Salem, where I had 3 Livingsocial deals to use. Along the way, I decided to stop by in Revere to do some sightseeing there.  
Revere Police Department
While heading to the Revere Beach, I happened to pass by the Suffolk Downs horse racecourse in Boston, so I decided to stop for a while and visit it, as I have never been at a racecourse before.
Suffolk Downs
Betting Booths
The scoreboard


The racecourse






My final destination was the northernmost end of Revere Beach, which I did not visit the last time I was here, during the Revere Sandsculpting Festival. Views of the beach at low tide follow.


Revere Beach at low tide

Lone Chair at the beach

I observed several interesting things while walking along the beach, firstly a few ladies going far out along the shallow shoreline to dig up clams, and seagulls doing the same, carrying their precious cargo in their beaks and dropping them onto the beach below from a height to break them. One bird actually got a huge crab, while another got a huge clam. What was funny was that the seagull with the clam got distracted by my presence, and while he was looking at me, the other bird in the picture snatched his prize away from him.
Lady digging for clams
Seagull dropping a clam


Kite in the Sky
Seagull with large clam
Seagull with crab










Along the way to the northernmost edge of Revere Beach, I realized that the last day of the Maine Lobster Festival, so I quickly called up my friend who lived nearby if he wanted to join me as well, and he did.

General Edwards Bridge

Northernmost End of Revere Beach









With that, I headed into Malden to pick my friend up, and we went and had an enjoyable day in Rockland Maine, where the Festival was held.


No comments:

Post a Comment