Friday, August 17, 2012

August 17th 2012: Using 4 Groupons in 1 Day

Today I took the day off, so I decided to use it to finish off several Groupons in the area east of Boston. I first headed for breakfast at Barry's Village Deli in Newton. I had $30 to spend here in this place which I initially thought had no dining area, so I was already prepared for leftovers. I started with a red beet soup dish called Borscht, which came with a side of sour cream.
Borscht
I'm not used to sweet soups like this, although it was a little salty, but I drank it all in the end anyway. I could not say the same thing for the rest of the dishes I ordered. I only finished half the knockwurst and bacon with Swiss cheese and mustard sandwich, while I could only take small bites of the Jewish PuPu Platter, which came with a beef knish, potato latke, Lokshen Kugel and chopped liver, all of which were really good in my opinion.
Jewish PuPu Platter
Artie's Knockwurst and Bacon Sandwich with Potato Salad











After packing my leftovers to go, I decided to add to the punishment by getting some dessert at Rosie's Bakery in the Chestnut Hill area.

This place is actually pretty decent in terms of decor, although they did not serve much in terms of cupcakes, which I was hoping for. Instead, I had to get several brownies, a fruit tart, and a few meringue pie slices to get the $30 worth of dessert. The fruit tart was really good, although the brownies were really intense in flavor.
From here, my third deal was at the Franklin Park Zoo in Boston. I parked near the Zebra Entrance and walked there. Even at this early time of day on a Friday, the line was already pretty long, but thankfully the wait wasn't too long.

Overall, this zoo is pretty big and nice, although I still have to say that Southwick's Zoo is still better in my opinion. Pictures of the animals I saw here follow. Interesting stuff included an Indian peacock with its feathers open, prairie dogs eating, the Butterfly Landing which is nothing compared to the Butterfly Place in Westford, although there was a hummingbird in her tiny nest, and the Aussie Aviary which is much like the Parakeet Landing in Southwick's Zoo but not as good, Bird's World, located inside a Chinese looking building where birds fly freely in different habitats, and finally the Zoorassic Park, with several life-size animatronic dinosaurs on exhibit.
The Zebra Entrance
White Bearded Wildebeest and Plains Zebra

Ostrich
Prehensile Tailed Porcupine




Indian Peacock With Feathers Open



Spotted Tortoise
Yellow Banded Dart Frog


Black Tailed Prairie Dog Eating



African Clawed Frog
Mossy Frog


Barn Owls
Standing's Day Gecko

Eastern Box Turtle
African Spurred Tortoise

Inside the Butterfly Landing


Rows of cocoons
Newborn butterflies

Hummingbird and her nest
Turtle in the pond



African Lion sleeping
White Tiger


Southern Ground Hornbill
Kori Bustard


Sargent's Folly
Masai Giraffes

Bactrian Camel
White Crested Hornbill


Saddle Billed Stork
Mandrill

Ruppell's Griffon Vulture
Gorilla
Common Blue Tongue Skink


Ring Tailed Lemur
Red Eyed Tree Frog


The train
African Wild Dog

Inside the Andean Condor Enclosure
Andean Condor
Statue at Giraffe Statue

Chilean Flamingoes
Budgerigars in the trees







Entrance to Bird's World
Sunbittern
Hadada Ibis
Tawny Frogmouth

Violet Turaco
Bali Mynah



Gouldian Finches


Darkling Beetles
Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula



Hissing Cockroach
Brazilian Cockroach

Walking Stick
Waterfall


Citron Crested Cockatoo
Wattled Stork



Juvenile T-Rex at Zoorassic Park

Cryolophosaurus
Compsognathus



Dilophosaurus
Massospondylus

Sarcosuchus
Deltadromeus


Ornithomimus
Chasmosaurus


With that, it was time to visit the Cyrus E. Dallin Art Museum in the town of Arlington, showcasing the art of the famous sculptor. This place is pretty small, although the artwork was pretty interesting. I was intrigued to know that the golden statue atop the Boston Massachusetts Temple in Belmont was made by the sculptor as well. Pictures of the sculptures I took here follow.

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory (left),
Captured but not Conquered (right)
Paul Revere (left), General William Sherman (center),
Governor William Bradford (right)

Algerian Panther
The Scout (left), Appeal to the Great Spirit (center),
Sacajawea (right)


The next museum I tried to visit was the Aidekman Arts Center in the campus of Tufts University in Medford and Somerville, but it was closed till September.
At Aidekman Arts Center

I visited a few other places in Medford before heading for a hike at the Rock Circuit Trail in the Middlesex Fells Reservation.
Honor Roll Park,
Winthrop Street near Brook Street

St. Francis of Assisi Church
Condon Shell,
Mystic Valley Parkway near Winthrop Street

Heading to the east side of the Middlesex Fells Reservation, I parked at the Flynn Rink in town before heading into the woods. The trail I took here, which is essentially the Rock Circuit Trail after walking the Cross Fells Trail to the intersection with it, is shown below in pink.


There weren't many views while I was walking the north region in Stoneham, and I was starting to get disappointed when I reached the east side of the trail, there were several stunning views of the town of Melrose. On the southern side of the trail, there were nice views of the Boston skyline, and the ruins of the old 1899 MIT Observatory. Pictures follow.
View of Fellsway East, Soneham

The several peaks on the east side





Views of Downtown Melrose







Southern Views of Boston Skyline




Setting Sun
1899 MIT Observatory



I managed to finish my hike, although I was thirsting for water by the end. After going to see what the Quarter Mile Pond nearby was about, which wasn't much, it was definitely time for me to get some water at my dinner place. My initial plan was to head to Habanero's Mexican Restaurant and Tequila Bar in Waltham, but as it was already filled with people, so I was forced to find another restaurant I had a deal at, which was Savinos Grill in Belmont. This place is pretty upper class looking, and the dishes I got were really artistic.
Table Decor
Starters
Grilled Quail

Grilled Lamb Top
The Grilled Quail was a little too bony for me, while the lamb was good, but the meal was just a little too sour for my taste.

I will give this place a chance I guess, considering the creativity put into the food, and that I probably ordered the wrong dishes.

With that, a day of using my Groupons came to an end.





No comments:

Post a Comment