Sunday, April 14, 2013

April 14th 2013: Sightseeing in the South Boston Area

My friend had to return to NYC today after a 2 week stay here, so we had a final meal at Penang in the Chinatown area in Boston before he left.

We decided to get the Roti Telur and the Oyster Omelette for appetizers, which were just okay, the roti not being crispy at all, while the Curry Beef Brisket Casserole and the Seafood Combination Casserole entrees which we got weren't too bad at all.


After my friend left, I realized I still had time on my hands, so I decided to do some sightseeing, which I had not done for some time now when my friend was around. This time, I decided to visit the South Boston area until the sun went down. Pictures of several of the places I visited during this time follow,
Wormwood Park,
A Street and Wormwood Street
Traveler Street Bridge,
Traveler Street near Albany Street
St. Peter's Lithuanian Parish,
75 Flaherty Way
Holy Trinity Albanian Orthodox Church
Monks Building, 366 West Broadway
St. John the Baptist Albanian Church,
410 West Broadway
St. Vincent De Paul Church,
363 E Street
St. George Albanian Orthodox Cathedral
Gates of Heaven Church
Vietnam War Memorial, Medal of Honor Park,
East Broadway and M Street
St. Brigid Church
South Boston Marine Park,
Broadway and William J Day Boulevard
including some parks on the shores of the Fort Point Channel
Binford Park,
End of Mount Washington Avenue
Rolling Bridge Park,
163 Dorchester Avenue

and the Reserved Channel,

as well as the beautiful Pleasure Bay area, all on the Boston Harborwalk path.




South Boston WWII Memorial
Admiral Farragut,
Broadway and William J Day Boulevard




Finally, it was too dark to take any more pictures. I decided to go for dinner. I had originally intended to go to Salsa's Mexican Restaurant in the Dorchester area of Boston, but in light of Patriot's Day tomorrow, it was closed unfortunately. In the end, I managed to find out that Sunset Cantina in the Allston area was open tonight, so I headed there instead.

This place was extremely busy with people, and after being seated, it took a while before I was served. I decided to use my Groupon and order the Salmon El Paso (topped with shrimp, mushrooms and Maitre D' Jalapeno Butter Sauce, dusted with toasted garlic bread crumbs and served with a side of Jicama vinaigrette salad with Sour Cream and Chives Fries)

for my main dish. I also got the Roasted Apple and Caramelized Banana Dessert Nachos (roasted apples and caramelized kahlua bananas studded with raisins over crispy fried, maple-cinnamon, sugar-buttered flour tortillas in a tortilla bowl, topped with whipped cream, caramel sauce and served with a side of malted vanilla ice cream)

and the Black and Tan Cheesecake (creamy vanilla cheesecake topped with chocolate cake and chocolate frosting) for dessert.
I was really surprised at how tasty the salmon was, as I would not have expected it from this typical looking bar restaurant. On top of that,the large size of the nachos and pretty presentation was delightful to me as well, although I could hardly finish it, and there was a third cake to deal with as well, which wasn't too bad either. A definite recommend.

With that, I headed home for the day, satisfied with my sightseeing for the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment