Saturday, April 20, 2013

April 20th 2013: Trying Out Several Places While Dealing with Food Truck Stuff

Today, I had to deliver food truck rewards to different parts of Massachusetts, and while doing so, checked out a few restaurants where I had Groupons as well.

In the town of Canton, after visiting Bolivar Pond at ~165 Bolivar Street in town,
I headed to Chubby Chickpea, a Mediterrannean takeout restaurant in town that also has a food truck operating on the streets of Boston.

With my groupon, I decided to get the Sampler, consisting of Eggplant, Falafel, Beef and Lamb Shawarma,

 and the Hummus, coming with pita bread, tabouleh and Greek salad as well.

Overall, everything was so oily it was disgusting, although the thinly sliced eggplant was pretty good. Never coming back here again, or even trying the food on the truck.

I headed next into Quincy, where I decided to eat more at Bistro Chi, a Chinese establishment in Quincy, after passing by the Glad Tidings Church in town.


This hip dining area is right next to the Kama Lounge in the same establishment, although the lounge was not open this time of day.

With my Groupon, I decided to get the Goji Berry Beef Soup,

the Shrimp Stir Fried with Mango in Taro Nest (jumbo shrimp wok tossed w/ mango, snow peas and baby corn in house white sauce and served in a fried tarot nest),

and the Beef and Pineapple Satay Chow Foon (Stir fried beef with green peppers, onions and pineapple in satay Chinese Barbeque sauce served over a bed of flat rice noodles).
I did not expect the soup to taste as good as it did, thinking it would taste strongly of MSG, which it did not. I was a little disappointed that the satay sauce was not really satay suace but a spicy suace, although the dish was still good. The shrimp with the crispy nest was excellent, of course. I was not expecting this from a Chinese restaurant, but I have to say this is one of the best Chinese meals I have had so far, although I guess it has more of a twist to the food.

In Brookline, I decided to get some sushi at Gari Fusion in town. This sushi place is pretty small, though nicely decorated.
I decided to go for the unique stuff, as always, going for the Shirome Soup (Grilled white fish with Japanese nameko mushrooms in an Asian herb chicken broth with sake),

the Kinuta (Marinated daikon radish rolled with shallot, cucumber, pickled ginger, scallions, asparagus, jalapenos, and salmon),

and the Gari Bruschetta Twist (Fried nori sheet and rice with tuna chunks, mico greens in a spicy sauce).

Although the dishes were pretty original, I have to say that taste wise, it wasn't as amazing, though still good. I definitely recommend to give this place a try for the experience, but I don't know about going back again for seconds. Fugakyu nearby is definitely better in all respects.

Moving on to the town of Belmont, I was hoping to be able to use my Groupon at Moozy's, an ice cream shop, to get some Panninis, but by the time I got there, the panini machine had already been shut down, so I was unable to use my groupon, although I had already gotten a Kahlua Fudge ice cream by that time. It was a little too bitter for me though. It wasn't a total loss though as I managed to chance upon an underground reservoir, the Payson Park Reservoir on Oakley Road and Payson Road.

With that, I headed home for the day, having delivered half of the rewards. More to do tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment