Friday, April 19, 2013

April 19th 2013: Sightseeing During the Boston Lockdown

This morning, as I headed into the Boston area, I heard that the city and the towns around it were under lockdown due to the marathon bombing suspects being at large in Watertown. As a result, I decided to explore the towns north of the lockdown area instead, starting with Everett,
Amelie Earhart Dam,
End of Mystic View Road
Mystic River near the Dam
Fountain, School Street and Broadway
Whitney Lorenti House,
15 Summer Street
Edward G Connolly Center,
90 Chelsea Street
Everett Veterans Memorial Stadium,
Spring Street and Chelsea Street

Mystic Side Congregational Church


Next, I decided to do a short hike up Waitt's Mount in Malden. Unfortunately, this place/park is still under construction, but I still managed to get to the top and see the great views from there. I'm definitely coming back with the construction of the park is completed.
After enjoying the views, I decided to head to the Park at River's Edge in Medford for a stroll in the park. Flowers were blooming and I took several pictures of them. 

Pictures of the Mystic River from the Revere Beach Parkway Bridge at 110 Revere Beach Parkway follow.


From Medford, I headed into the town of Melrose, which I have never visited before except during my hike in the Middlesex Fells Reservation several months back. I decided to go for my first real hike in a long while at Pine Banks Park.

After parking in the playing fields area, the path I took here is shown below in pink.
I first headed up to the top of the first supposed viewpoint, which unfortunately was obscured totally by trees. I then went down to the pond below,

where a California Firefly landed on my jacket.

From here, I headed to the other viewpoint. This time, the views, especially of Boston in the distance, were pretty good.
After climbing back down, it was time to head to Tewksbury for lunch at Main Street Pizza, passing by a few places in town along the way.
Fireman Sculpture,
South Street and Main Street
Touching Souls Sculpture
Long Pond,
Ferncroft Road and Whipple Road
Disabled Army Veterans Post 110
From here, I got the Spicy Fries,

the All Meat Pizza (Pizza Sauce, Cheese, Sausage, Hamburger, Bacon, Pepperoni)

and the Florentine Pizza (Cheese, Alfredo Sauce, Chicken, Broccoli).

The Florentine was really bland, while the fries were not spicy in the least bit, and the meat lovers was just average. Not a good experience at all.

Not satisfied at all with my meal, I decided to head to the Sugar Coated Bakery in Dracut to grab some dessert, where I had $50 to spend. It ended up with me getting almost all the cakes in the store,

which had really nicely designed birthday cakes as well.


I have to say the desserts were pretty original, and the Tiramisu Jar looked cute as well. Not a bad place to have dessert at at all.

After grabbing dessert, I headed into Lowell to do some sightseeing there.
Shedd Park
Ouellette Bridge
Centralville Memorial Park
Peniel Spanish Christian Church,
41 Ennell Street
Peter J Deschene Memorial Station
McAuliffe Elementary School,
570 Beacon Street
Greenhalge Elementary School
Tremont Gatehouse,
Suffolk Street near Father Morissette Boulevard
Old Wannalancit Mills
Western Canal, Broadway Street and Lewis Street
Old Lawrence Mills,
End of Lawrence Drive
Northern Canal,
Father Morissette Boulevard and Aiken Street
Pawtucket Falls Rapids
Sheehy Memorial Park,
499 Pawtucket Street
The Francis Gate at Francis Gate Park,
500 Pawtucket Street

I visited the campus of UMass Lowell, which did not have many interesting buildings,
LeLacheur Park

At this point, I felt it was too late to proceed further, so I decided to head to dinner back in Tewksbury at Angelina's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria, a pretty upscale place, another Groupon in hand.

For my discounted meal, I decided to get the Scallop Abruzzi (pan seared scallops on a bed of fresh spinach drizzled with balsamic reduction, topped with shaved parmigiana)

and the Creamy Shrimp Bruschetta (toasted bruschetta topped with shrimp, fresh diced tomato, basil, spinach finish with a cream sauce) for appetizers,

the Scrod alla Vito (panko breadcrumbs pan-fried with fresh tomatoes, baby spinach in a garlic cream sauce. Served over linguini) for my main dish,

and Profiteroles for dessert.
Not only were the appetizers delicious, the scrod was also fresh, tasty and delectable, going well with the cream sauce. The profiteroles were good as well. One of the few restaurants in Tewksbury I would recommend.

With that, I spent my day when Boston was under lockdown well. Thankfully,  they caught the guy soon after the lockdown was lifted. Boston Strong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment